My first commissioned piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
So I was talking to one of the girls at work and mentioned that I'm into woodworking. I showed her the pictures of my bar and the cabinet that I made in John's class. She asked if I'd build her an end table. This is the one that she wants.
00069.jpg
She wants it slightly wider (26") and with two doors. I've talked her into using european hinges and deleting the latch that she wasn't that crazy about anyway. She wants it made out of oak. The back, bottom and a single adjustable shelf will be made from plywood. I figure it's not all that different from the cabinet in made in John's class.
I'm not really looking to make a profit, just to get some practice so I told her that I'd just charge her for materials. I don't feel that I've go the skills yet to charge someone for my work so this is essentially a chance to get someone else to pay for my practice work. She said that time's not an issue too, so that helps.
Now all I need is use of a planer and a bandsaw for the bottoms...

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Chris,

That sounds like a great deal... you get to play and someone else pays for the material. I thouhgt I had a that kind of a deal going when I made a case for DVDs for my daughter. Her room mates and some other friends liked it and said they'd love to have similar pieces for DVDs and tapes, or maybe some books and nick-nacks... unfortunately, while they were willing to pay some compliments, they did not have the cash to pay for materials (seems college students are always broke).

Make sure you post some work-in-progress photos and some of the finished product.

Ray

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I have a planer you can come over and use if you want.. but no bandsaw. My planer isn't a great model, but it planes. You'll have to do some sanding after planing though.

timsparents

New User
Roger Goldman
Congratulations on your first commission! I'll look forward to seeing the results. Wanted to let you know, in case you hadn't seen it listed, that I have a Laguna 16" bandsaw for sale - in the Buy and Sell section. It may be more than you need at the moment, but it is a wonderful tool, one that you can grow into and use until you get old!
Roger

T

toolferone

I have both a planer and bandsaw I would be happy to help out if I can.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ditto what Clay and Tom had to say. My shop is always open, and I have a nice beer fridge...for after the power tool work :drunken_s :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
Same here Chris - come on over and we'll have a look. Only a small 12" BS though - not in the WG league yet:mrgreen:

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Thanks for the offers to help, guys! Don't be surprised if I start calling you on them!
I'm supposed to get a check this week for materials. Then I'm going to make a ride to the Hardwood Store next week since I'm going to my inlaws in Burlington anyway. If I had the luxury of being able to wait for the lumber to dry, I'd definitely love to get some from one of our expert sawyers.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Chris, Sounds to me like you're on your way. I think this is a great way to start and very generous on your part. I did something similar for a set of cabinets for a BIL several years ago. When he said that he wanted raised panel doors to match others in the kitchen, I explained that I would need to get the router bits to match. He said, "Get the bits you need and I'll pay for them and when the job's done, they're yours." I've used them any number of times since. He got the cabinets for the cost of materials and I got the experience.
Roy

cskipper

Cathy
Chris, that sounds like a great opportunity! Keep us posted as you go, you know how we are! :lol:

DaveD

New User
Dave
If you have a top of the line saber saw it will cut those scrolls with no problem. Mine is a Bosch (about $150).

I'd also make the shelf out of solid oak. No sense messing with plywood for just one. Besides you have to finish the front edge somehow.There is only one so the only challenge is to glue a few boards up to get the depth you need.

If you have a drill press you could get one of those sanding drums and sand that scroll design pretty easy once you cut it out.

Hopefully the lady will at least take you out for a good lunch (besides pay for materials) when its done.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Congradulations on the commission!!! We all have had to do the first commission in our woodworking journey------vaguely remember the excitement and good feeling that someone had confidence in my work. I am sure you will do a great job:eusa_clap .

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS