My budget bench vise is finally useful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have one of those handyman/carpenter vises that clamps on to a table or workbench. I have never found it all that useful because the clamp is not that great and it is often in the way on the top and can't be used like a bench vise. Here is a shot of it now:

HPIM1984.JPG

Thats from under my "bench" (more of a cobbled together worktable). Notice I am not using the clamp at all. I closed it on the rail and drove a couple of screws in. That means the 6" capacity is down to 4.5", but I am okay with that to get it mounted there. That number is actually going to get even smaller with a major improvement. Anyway, here it is from the front:

HPIM1982.JPG

Yeah, the outside leg on the worktable is an issue, but that will be resolved in a planned upgrade before long. Anyway, now it has a metal face that is below the table surface. So, I am going to give up another 3/4" with a face for it. Here is the face:

HPIM1985.JPG

Sorry about the blurry picture, but I think you can see it okay. The holes that have the recess are for the plate to be dead even at the benchtop. But if I loosen the wing nuts, I can slide the plate up and use it like this:

HPIM1987.JPG

The small board is full length and clamped at both ends. I could go with dogs, but I like the top mostly without holes. Note the eyehook - that allows me to hang the board up and reminds me it has a purpose in life.

Anyway, I am down to 3.75" between the plate and bench and can increase that to 4.5" in some cases by taking the plate out, but for 90+ % of what I will do, it is more than enough. I always have clamps anyway. So I am pretty pleased!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Innovation is finding a use to every tool. Nice touch, Andy, with the jaw being a little higher than the bench top, so you can use it as a stop (like the 2nd pic). I have one like that, so you inspired me to modify the jaw. Thanx! :cool:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Necessity is the mother of invention, but poverty is the father.
Nice job. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS