MWTCA Meeting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
MWTCA held a meeting in Charlotte yesterday. Attendance was good with maybe 60 people there; I think Tarhead and I were the only NCWW members there. I got there late (because of work) but arrived in time for the program given by John McAlister on furniture carving. The program was very interesting and informative, and he had several nice examples of his work and other pictures. The meeting theme was carving chisels and there were many very nice displays of carving chisels. Two or three of the displays were original complete sets in the original tool rolls. One English set had maybe 300 chisels and was shocking just on quantity not to mention the perfect condition. The tool auction was pretty good with about 20-30 lots of planes, chisels, squares, primitives, etc. Most everything sold for "good deal" prices. People selling was off, but eight or ten folks were set-up with tools for sale and I saw some really nice tools for sale at good prices. I delivered a couple of planes to several guys, including a nice Stanley 8C to Tarhead and he will soon be the proud owner of Popeye arms if he uses it much. I brought home a corrugated bottom Stanley 5 1/4C for my collection. It was a good meeting.

I didn't take stuff to formally set-up (good thing because I was late), but did take a PTAMPIA I book to sell, but due to time I brought it home. For those of you who aren't familiar with this book, Patented Transitional and Metallic Planes In America volume I (PTAMPIA I) written by Roger Smith is the standard of information for plane collecting. Volume I includes Stanley and the Stanley type studies you hear everyone referring to, plus the planes of other mfgrs like Birmingham, Union, Sargent, etc. This book is out of print, hard to find and I've seen them selling for over $200. I don't hit you guys up to sell stuff because I'm not a mercenary, but I have around $100 in this one and that's what I'd like to get for it if anyone's interested.

Monty

New User
Monty
Man, I hate I missed that meeting yesterday - I was seriously planning to be there, but I missed it entirely due to work. :-? Oh well, gotta pay for them tools somehow!!!

BTW, I'd like to have that book of yours. If we can meet up at the first inaugural meeting of the Western NC Distinguished Woodworkers Society™, maybe I can get it from you then. :mrgreen:

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Yes, I was looking for you. I was really late because of work too. We had a good time and there were lots of nice tools floating around. I wanted the the book to go "to a good home" because it's in great shape and a good deal, I'll consider the book to be yours and bring it to our gala extravaganza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS