Mountain Dulcimer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I made this dulcimer a couple of years ago and have had it in storage. The top is cypress and the rest is walnut with a shelac finish. I tuned it up and found that my playing skills haven't got any better. It was a fun project and I actually made two more for gifts for some of my children.
100_1146.jpg

View image in gallery

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Understanding your musical skills, how does it sound in general? Does it require the same level of building as say a guitar?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Travis,

While your question was to Larry, I will jump in with some experiences...

I have built stick dulcimers that you could probably knock out in an afternoon and some of them sounded pretty decent. I made a mandolin that took me many, many hours over a period of weeks and it sounded okay, but not as good as my best stick dulcimer. Sound is about wood selection (which can involve some luck), quality of joinery and precise fret placement. Pro luthiers who make a living at it generally spend a lot more time making it look good than making it sound good. This is especially true with flat top instruments.

Have you looked at Strumsticks?
http://www.strumstick.com/
those are stick dulcimers, the type I mentioned you can build quickly.

EDIT - Dang my lack of politeness; I forgot to tell Larry how nice his dulcimer looks...
Larry - great job! :eusa_clap :icon_thum

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Understanding your musical skills, how does it sound in general? Does it require the same level of building as say a guitar?
Travis, It actually sounds pretty good. While some of the same principles apply, I'm sure it's a lot easier than a guitar or mandolin. I found the exact fret placement in an old mag (PWW I think) and roughly copied another body that a friend had. The one I copied didn't have the frets right and was impossible to tune or play.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Just Google "fret calculator". There is an online one at MIMF specifically for mountain dulcimers. I have one that is general purpose for full chromatic instruments as well. Another difference with guitars is that they have more frets. Dulcimers are diatonic and play in a particular key.

There are lots of free plans as well as ones for sale all over the net for all sorts of instruments including guitars and dulcimers. I have a few downloaded.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Larry....Nice dulcimer. I'm getting ready to build one for my daughter .
I have resawn some koa for the body so far. I might need a few pointers if you're willing.
Andy, I may have to contact you for some of the plan links.

Ron

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Larry....Nice dulcimer. I'm getting ready to build one for my daughter .
I have resawn some koa for the body so far. I might need a few pointers if you're willing.
Andy, I may have to contact you for some of the plan links.

Ron
Ron, Sure any time.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That looks very nice Larry. You dabble in a lot of different things and seem to be really good at what ever you decide to do.

I'd love to come and visit a while someday if I ever get time.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
That looks very nice Larry. You dabble in a lot of different things and seem to be really good at what ever you decide to do.

I'd love to come and visit a while someday if I ever get time.
Thanks Mike and any time you get this far east come on by.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Larry that is a nice Dulcimer - I have played a Hammer Dulcimer that belongs to one of my friends and really enjoyed playing it - I would love to build a Hammer Dulcimer for myself but that is way down on the list

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I think you did a real nice job there,beautifull work. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up
I do believe I saw the word MANDOLIN :gar-Bi Being that I do love some good ole mountain Bluegrass,I love ta here a GOOD mandolin player.Actually any string instrument.got any 5 string Banjo pickers around?Can listin to em all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors