Mortise Chisel Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len

New User
Len
Well I went to the Woodwright's School yesterday and did my very first hand cut dovetails and mortise & tenon joints. Now I'm hooked.

It turns out I have the tools I need for doing dovetails, but I've never owned a mortise chisel.

Before I run out and buy one or two, I'm looking for some recommendations from those of you who actually use them. Please keep two things in mind though when making a recommendation:

1. This will be for occasional use once I actually get a shop set up.

2. I'm on a limited budget, and while I'm looking for something better than the typical BORG stuff, I don't really want to spend more that $50.00 - $75.00 each.

Thanks,
Len

Brian Boggs

New User
Brian
Len,
I have been teaching mortising for years now and have seen a lot of students try to cut mortises with all kinds of chisels. I have used a lot of them myself and have been mostly very disappointed with what's out there. Sorby used to be good. Not now. I would also avoid the Japanese chisles. I imagine I will catch **** for saying this, but nearly all of those I have seen or used are crooked and not very heavy duty, even the very expensive ones. The only ones I have seen lately that are fairly good are Lie-Nielsen and Barr. Buying an old one is an option too, but without a class on tuning one from the rust bin, I recommend a good new one.
If you like shopping on e-bay and can find an old Marples or an old Sorby that might be a good choice as well. If this does not make you happy, check out an old article in FWW by Michael Podmanizcky ( I butchered his name) back in the eighties or early nineties, I think. their index will have it. He tells how to make yoiur own heavy duty chisel. It's not all that complicated, actually.
Having said all this, I have actually chopped respectable mortises with a sharp screwdriver, it's just not as fun to use as a fine chisel.

Brian

Well I went to the Woodwright's School yesterday and did my very first hand cut dovetails and mortise & tenon joints. Now I'm hooked.

It turns out I have the tools I need for doing dovetails, but I've never owned a mortise chisel.

Before I run out and buy one or two, I'm looking for some recommendations from those of you who actually use them. Please keep two things in mind though when making a recommendation:

1. This will be for occasional use once I actually get a shop set up.

2. I'm on a limited budget, and while I'm looking for something better than the typical BORG stuff, I don't really want to spend more that $50.00 - $75.00 each.

Thanks,
Len

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Len, you ask a question I wrestled with for quite a while.

I recently broke down and got a Ray Iles 5/16" mortise chisel from Tools For Working Wood. It was relatively expensive (~$60), but what a wonderful tool.

Another option you could try is Ed Hobbs MWTCA meeting end of July. Odds are you can find a good old chisel at a good price.

Now, this is gonna sound radical, may upset many, but Adam Cherubini taught our class how to pare a motrise. Instead of chopping it out. In the end, he only did a few chops, and that was for the ends.

He laid out the mortise as normal, then starting the further end, did lets say 35 degree paring cuts, working backwards. He more or less gets the chisel up to his shoulder and really leans into it.

I mention this, as you could make do paring with a beefy bench chisel until you can score a good working mortise chisel.

Jim

nelsone

New User
Ed
Len,
I have been teaching mortising for years now and have seen a lot of students try to cut mortises with all kinds of chisels. I have used a lot of them myself and have been mostly very disappointed with what's out there. Sorby used to be good. Not now. I would also avoid the Japanese chisles. I imagine I will catch **** for saying this, but nearly all of those I have seen or used are crooked and not very heavy duty, even the very expensive ones. The only ones I have seen lately that are fairly good are Lie-Nielsen and Barr. Buying an old one is an option too, but without a class on tuning one from the rust bin, I recommend a good new one.
If you like shopping on e-bay and can find an old Marples or an old Sorby that might be a good choice as well. If this does not make you happy, check out an old article in FWW by Michael Podmanizcky ( I butchered his name) back in the eighties or early nineties, I think. their index will have it. He tells how to make yoiur own heavy duty chisel. It's not all that complicated, actually.
Having said all this, I have actually chopped respectable mortises with a sharp screwdriver, it's just not as fun to use as a fine chisel.

Brian

Hey Brian, when did you join??? Glad to have you here. Please post an introduction in the who we are forum!!!

Len, if you can wait until July (I know it's a ways off) the MWTCA meet at Ed Hobbs is a great event and I quite sure you could find a few older ones.

striker

New User
Stephen
I like that ..this must be the bazaroo forum. Brian Boggs..Newbie, Striker Corporate member:gar-La;

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
I was at the MTWCA meeting at Ed Hobbs' place, and picked up a 1/4"
pig-sticker mortising chisel, and liked it.
Recently there were several on the bay that ended at not that high a price.

The size/width of the mortising chisel should be determined by the work
you do, most of the time, 1/4", 5/16" are good sizes.

As far as buying old ones, it should work as long as it's straight? For
sharpening, do we need a mortising chisel to be able to shave? I guess not.
On the other hand, the bevel would be different at 35 degree.

My 2 cents, and my experience, again.

Regards.

Pinwu

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I use a set of modern Marples mortise chisels..the ugly ones with the indestructible plastic handles.

I only use them very occasionally (preferring the 3HP slot mortiser), so $70 for the 4 chisel set and attendant performance suit me.

-Mark

Len

New User
Len
Pinwu,

What's a "pig sticker" mortise chisel?

Jim,

I checked TFWW and the 5/16 Ray Iles is in stock, and it's in my price range. And the oval handle looks like it will fit my hand better than the round handles I've seen on the others. So it should (key word there) be easier to keep lined up.

After I get the truck tuned up next week, I think I'll save my nickles for a payday or two see about laying hands on one. If I like it, maybe I'll even get a 3/8 in a month or two.

Thanks for the info from everyone. If all else fails, I think I've got a really big, old square shanked screwdriver stuck away somewhere. ;^)

Len

nelsone

New User
Ed
Pig Sticker
MS-MORTXX_big.gif

Don't know the story of the name though.:dontknow:

Glennbear

Glenn
I use a set of modern Marples mortise chisels..the ugly ones with the indestructible plastic handles.

I only use them very occasionally (preferring the 3HP slot mortiser), so $70 for the 4 chisel set and attendant performance suit me.

-Mark

I have not yet purchased dedicated mortise chisels but I have heard this was a good way to go. IIRC DaveO bought a set of these also.

Another screw driver abuser! :rotflm:

Welcome Brian! :icon_thum

Better to abuse a screwdriver as a chisel than a chisel as a screwdriver ! :gar-La;

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
I am very happy with the English style oval bolstered mortising chisel. You can find these in just about every size (I have them from 3/32" to 9/16"). They are no problem to sharpen and the oval handle makes them very confortable to use. Mine I got over theyears from tool shows, autctions and tool web sites. Generaly around $25, even better if you can get them without handles and make your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors