More on Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayH

New User
Ray
Is it just me or does everyone get the same ad at the bottom of the "HOME" page. It appears to be for a singles' "starting a relationship" outfit. It is also there on most threads that I read. In fact, it's on the bottom of the page as I'm writing this. Is LOML trying to tell me something:icon_scra

Ray

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm seeing the same thing. When that happens, it is usually becuase someone is paying more than usual for the ad placement. If you see the dewalt ads at the top, those really money makers.

If any ad is offensive, I can always block it.

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
This is why google is so good at what it does.

It's all based on keywords and data mining.

Recall that about a week ago we had a thread about one member dating and getting engaged to another member. It was also probably one of the most poular and longest threads.

Google data mines this site as a way to find the best advertisers. Google picked up on this and now is showing dating service ads since the topic is very popular here at the moment.

-Kevin

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Now I understand why I got blasted when I suggested a desire to tell an off color joke every now and then. Think of the ads we would get after that data was mined!!!

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Sure. Also... keep in mind that many woodworking keywords unfortunately cross over directly to adult content as well. "screw" is just the first to come to mind. This is why MANY woodworking related sites who go to google ads to stir up revenue found themselves in a stir about adult banner ads within the first month, if not week of turning the ads on. We went through it here, sawmill creek did too, and a few others that I recall.

Google gets a LOT of revenue from adult ads to dating ads, so they don't disable them until after the webmaster complains. They are not dumb, and want to make money just as much as everyone els does.

-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS