More fun with melamine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Even after making a tapering jig and outfeed table, I still have lots of melamine left over. And since I still haven't given Wayne back his countersink bits, I figured it was time to finally build a drill press table. Those small metal tables with metal ridges 1/4" from the side make it impossible to clamp anything! :BangHead::BangHead:

I'm a novice woodworker at best and my engineering projects generally involve duct tape. Making a table didn't seem all that difficult, but how to attach it? I saw a design on another WW site on mounting a larger table via some T-nuts. Simple enough with a router and a guide collar.

Here's a view underneath. The various extrusions make it a tight, but the standard (black) Rockler knobs just fit. :icon_thum

The completed table. I laminated a piece of melamine to the plywood using some poly glue and screws. That held just fine. Edge banded with some 3/4 QS beech and biscuits. The final dimensions are 24" x 16". I thought about making it larger, but that would make it hard to reach the crank to raise/ lower the table.

Here's a shot of the bottom of the completed table. Note the relief holes to enable the T-bolts to be fitted into the groove. You may want to drill those _before_ you glue up.... :eusa_doh::eusa_doh: but things turned out OK.

The fence is a piece of 2" angled aluminum with some melamine attached. The knobs are pillaged from my router table, the larger Rockler ones fit there but not on this small a fence. This was the first time I routed aluminum, not all that difficult. A face mask would be nice to have to, those little metal slivers can be sharp.

I made a cutout for a replaceable insert...another idea I pillaged. Since the insert is slightly off center, If I accidentally drill a hole in the table, I can rotate it and have good support under the work piece. I need to make a few more of these, but I kinked one band saw blade and the other one is duller than a documentary on watching paint dry. :cry_smile I use a tiny amount of that "snot glue" to hold it in place.

BTW, I lucked out, I made the insert just off-center enough so that the relief hole for the T-nut is located underneath. That means I can easily pop it out from below. Not planned, dumb luck is great.... :mrgreen:

Finally, here it is mounted and ready to go. Fully compatible with my tapering jig accessories :) Now I need to make some cam clamps, where did I put that drawing :eusa_thin

Many thanks to Joe again - different application, same techniques. When you have T-track, everything looks like a jig! (or fixture...)
:banana::banana::banana:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That looks store bought
Wot, like this one?
96395.gif

:rotflm::rotflm:

Just messin' with ya.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Looks great. Mine is similar with a couple changes. First, I used 1/4 MDF for the top so I could replace it - and it still has a replaceable insert. Second, I added drawers underneith for bits. Otherwise, it is essentially exactly the same. I modified a design in Wood magazine. In incorporated the metal rods so you can extend the ends of the fence but I do not use them.

Jim

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Cool D P table, Bas:icon_thum... You are too modest when stating your WWing abilities. That looks like a professional job to me...

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I made a cutout for a replaceable insert...another idea I pillaged. Since the insert is slightly off center, If I accidentally drill a hole in the table, I can rotate it and have good support under the work piece.

Nothing wrong with pillaging ideas. I remember seeing a plan somewhere that called for an offset center insert so you can rotate the insert.

I like it Bas, looks sharp. :icon_thum

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
How much $ and how much time do you have into that? I would REALLY REALLY like to have one for my drill press. The table on it just isn't for woodworking.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
How much $ and how much time do you have into that? I would REALLY REALLY like to have one for my drill press. The table on it just isn't for woodworking.
Cost is modest. A full 8x4 sheet of melamine is like $30. So even with fence and cutoffs, you're looking at $4. Of course, if you have to buy an entire sheet for the project...The most expensive part is the T-track, T-bolts and knobs. Rockler had a special for $15 during Christmas, it's back up to $20 now. Aluminum angle for the fence is $10. Add in a few dollars for some bolts, washers, glue, biscuits, finish, wax, and you're looking at $35 total.

Time - not sure, maybe 8-10 hours? Not including drying time of course. I'm kind of slow, and I have to tidy up my shop every couple of hours or I can't find stuff. I think this is why people want a bigger shop. So they can have duplicates of everything.

You can probably buy something similar for $100. It won't have quartersawn beech edging, but it should do the job. I had everything on hand from making the tapering jig and outfeed table, so it was an easy choice.

Last edited:

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Bas, that is a great job!!! I want to make one of these. In fact, I had asked Santa for the hardware kit, but it must have fallen out of his sleigh. Two questions for you; where did you purchase the aluminum angle? And who knew that you could route aluminum??? Not me :elvis: Any tips on that process?

Thank you for this post.

Mike

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I think this is why people want a bigger shop. So they can have duplicates of everything.

Yep.

You can get 12' tape measures from Dollar Tree for $1 (well, anything you buy at DT is $1, ain't it). I have four of them sprinkled around. I also have four I got from HF on sale for $0.99, as well as two 16' tapes and a pair of 25' tapes, plus a really neat tape calibrated in decimal inches I inherited from Dad. I got lots more measuring stuff, but that's just an idea of how many tape measures I use. I also have two combo squares, two bench brushes, two big drafting triangles, two boxes of single edge razor blades, three bags of brass setup gauges, four box cutters, three boxes of replacement box cutter blades, two marking gauges, three whetstones, a half dozen push sticks (some masterpieces of craftsmanship, some very useful and chewed up), four sets of hearing protection, five pairs of safety glasses, two HF cheapie 18v drills (backed up by a cordless Makita drill and cordless Makita impact driver and two DeWalt tailed drills).

That's just what I can think off off hand. Oh yeah, two cans of Simonize paste wax. At least twenty sharpened pencils. There's probably a lot more, but you're right, there's nothing like having at least twelve measuring tapes. When I'm bored, I go find them all and put them in the drawer they belong in.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Two questions for you; where did you purchase the aluminum angle?
I bought it at Lowe's. Home Depot also carries it. It's 2" x 2", 1/8" thick. I only needed 2ft, sometimes they have it in 2ft sections. No such luck this time, I had to buy 4ft of it. Not cheap at $20. If you want to buy my leftover half for $10, you're more than welcome!

And who knew that you could route aluminum??? Not me :elvis: Any tips on that process?
Sure.
1. Put bit in router
2. Route.

:gar-Bi
Seriously, it's no different than routing wood. The chamfer bit ran over the aluminum just as easily as over the beech.

For the fence slots - I don't have a 1/2" straight bit that can plunge (well, I have an expensive carbide bit but didn't want to risk it) so I drilled a 1/2" pilot hole and then routed it using an ordinary straight bit. Again, no different than routing out wood. Just don't go too fast and let the bit cool off after each slot.

The only thing to be careful of is those metal slivers. I always wear eye protection, and I assume you do also, so I won't bore you with advise on that :) If you have a full face mask, that's nice, but not required.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
All your projects look extremely white! What we have here is theme shops; DaveO peach, Bas white. What's next...mauve?

Looks great and BTW, where's the pics of the tapered legs with thin strip inlays?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very, very nice work there, Bas!!!!

You will have the Rockler and MLCS folks drooling over your craftsmanship before too long!:gar-Bi:gar-Bi (Maybe you otta apply for a patent or wait and sue when you see them steal the design....... for more tool bucks:elvis:)

(It is about time for me to start looking at a large piece of melamine to replace the top on my assembly/outfeed table.)

Ya done good!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

Wayne

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Looks very good Bas! I need to make me one of those as well..... Time to buy some melamine and some track.

Cept, mine needs to be red to match my clamps.

J

jeff...

Nice Bas... one of these dyas I would like to make one myself - thanks for tut

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice DP table, Bas. I usually scrounge my jobsites for usable items. IF there's any construction still going on anywhere close you guys might want to keep your eyes open for a cabinet sink cutout. They're usually big enough to make a DP top & if you're lucky, they'll have a PW back. I've made 2 and plan a 3rd but they're not as elaborate as yours. I was able to get them made in white, though. Oh - and don't try it with quartz or granite tops!:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS