b
reindeer.jpg

and the rest of the herd :)
reindeer.jpg

Last edited:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I made this for office gift exchange... went over the $15 limit a touch.

Used scrap 2x8 SYP and a long piece of threaded rod. I turned the finial, drilled a hole and epoxied in a nut. The pieces, including the base, are cut so they will all line up for storage.

PXL_20211216_001159420.jpg

PXL_20211216_024654308.jpg

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Look nice. Is there some sapele in there as well?
No. This purple heart was flat sawn flooring I got from a member a while back. I ripped into strips to create quarter sawn grain. A few pieces showed some curl so I spaced them in at random. Turned out better than I expected. Sanded to 320 and waxed.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I made this for office gift exchange... went over the $15 limit a touch.

Used scrap 2x8 SYP and a long piece of threaded rod. I turned the finial, drilled a hole and epoxied in a nut. The pieces, including the base, are cut so they will all line up for storage.

View attachment 206684

View attachment 206685

I REALLY like the “liquid” ornaments!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
My first attempt at an end grain board. I finished it up yesterday.
That's really nice! What woods did you use and what are the overall dimensions? My first try was a bit too thin and warped so I'm going to try my hand at another one of these days.

NYTransplant

Tim
Corporate Member
That's really nice! What woods did you use and what are the overall dimensions? My first try was a bit too thin and warped so I'm going to try my hand at another one of these days.
Thanks Bill.

It's 10x16 overall. I made it from poplar, walnut and some West Penn Hardwood scrap bin pieces I thought were cherry, but turned out to have a grain structure like mahogany, so I'm not really sure what it is.

I hear you on the thickness. I wish I made this one thicker, but was limited by the amount of stock I had. This one is only 5/8 thick. I had a design laid out and was going to make it after the holidays, then a "need" came up, so I quickly made it from whatever I had laying around.

Next one will be maple, cherry and walnut... and at least 1" thick.

Last edited:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
And for the fam, four chamber train whistles. Presented these to the family (3 generations) at the family holiday in Elijay GA. We made a little noise and everyone had a smile. Wood types (in no particular order): pine, cebil, olive wood, and maupani. We made a video but not all of the family are musical, LOL.

From this:

Unknown-5.jpeg

to this:

Unknown-8 9.48.18 PM.jpeg

and then this:

Unknown-12.jpeg

Mushrooms by nature. Walnut oil finish on the whistles.

OBTW, olive wood doesn't taste as good as olives before or after the walnut oil is applied.

C&C welcome.

Last edited:

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Merry Christmas to all,

Our neighbor has been supplying us with produce all summer and fall. At one point I was showing her pictures of the charcuterie board I'd made for our daughter, and the neighbor fell in love with it.

So ... I made her one as well. She was overwhelmed (which is high praise for me). Last evening she sent a photo of the charcuterie board in use ... which really made my day!

Rick

Attachments

• IMG_0971[1].JPG
    IMG_0971[1].JPG
    585 KB · Views: 115

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
One of my friends gifted me some walnut logs, and with my recent bandsaw acquisition, i was able to resaw some pieces to give back a a thank you gift. I found a large font i was able to route into the boards, then inserted some flexible LED lighting to form the letter A. Outside border is maple, all coated with some tung oil.

20211223_164952.jpg

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
One of my friends gifted me some walnut logs, and with my recent bandsaw acquisition, i was able to resaw some pieces to give back a a thank you gift. I found a large font i was able to route into the boards, then inserted some flexible LED lighting to form the letter A. Outside border is maple, all coated with some tung oil.

View attachment 207129
Very nice Neal. I thought this was a neon tube. Cool how the flexable LED makes it look.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Y'alls projects are way nicer than mine, but I did two runs of custom ornaments this year. All are made from solid wood planed down to 0.325 +/-

Ornament #1: Christmas motif with a holly sprig and a ribbon. I did about 40 of these, engraved with the recipient's name and "2021" on the back. 3d work in blender, CarbideCreate Pro for CAM.

I had to figure out some 'mass customization' techniques for these - each takes 5 separate machining operations.

Christmas ornament holly and ribbon dated final.png

IMG_1593_800.jpg

Ornament #2 - this is an ornament with a nautical topo map of (a section of) Jordan Lake. I made 4 of these. Recipient's name on the front and some lines from The Night Before Christmas on the back.

This was the most complicated design I've done for the CNC to this point doing 3D work in blender, 2D work in Inkscape and merging it together in CarbideCreate Pro for CAM with 10 toolpaths and 6 different tool changes.

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1613_800.jpg

Mark

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS