Mold On Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I've had some Red Oak and Maple air drying in my shop for about 6 months. My shop has heat and A/C. I,m ready to use the wood, so I checked the moisture content and it's at 8%, but I notice on 1 board I had some white mold on it. When I ran it through the jointer the white is in some of the grain. What can I do to get rid of it or just trash it?:BangHead:

J

jeff...

If it's the maple your talking about with the white mold - double check and make sure it's not sap. If it's sap it'll peel off like a thick sheet of paper. It could also be sap on the oak, but oak is less prone to spew sap than maple is... Unless it's swamp oak which has a really high moisture content in the log. Usually mold on green wood only goes so deep and is commonly referred to surface mold and as the lumber dries so does the mold because it needs water and the right temperature to survive and go. A piece of wood would need to be out in the elements a long time to mold all the way through and would probably be punky in several spots. You mentioned you had the lumber stacked up in your shop, so I would think whatever it is should plan away.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS