Mold on air dried wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey all,

I have a 10' x20' overhang connected to the side of my shop that I would like to air dry some wood under. I have three open sides, naturally, and one of those sides is facing the same way as the back of the shop. The back of the shop gets alot of the green stuff on it (algae, mold ?). Would the boards that are air drying get the same stuff on it, and if so how would I prevent it ?

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy:)

Nativespec

New User
David
Jim:

You can only prevent algae by having sun shine on the spot. I know of no way to prevent it, but bleach will kill it.

David

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jimmy, that is a very interesting question :eusa_thin
The algae growth that you are finding on the side of your shop is a product of shade keeping the surface damper that the ones that are exposed to more sun. Usually you find this on the north side of the house. It receives the least amount of drying sun exposure.
When air drying wood, air movement is your friend. It will carry away the moisture laden air created by the evaporation of the moisture in the wood trying to reach an equilibrium with the MC of the air around it.
When air drying wood, I don't think it is best to have it exposed to a lot of direct sun exposure. Because the sun will only effect portions of the stack, you will get uneven drying. Also trying to get even sun exposure to a stack of wood would mean that it will be exposed on all sides, this would leave it open to the re-wetting effect of rain.
I think the best way to air dry wood is to keep it in an area that has good air flow through-out the stack and overhead protection from rain.
Air flow across this planet is generally in a east/west direction as opposed to a north/south direction. So you would be best to place your stack so the broad side is perpendicular to east and west. If your area affords you that orientation then it is probably a good space to store your wood while it air dries. But if the building is blocking the air flow, like a north-side wall would then you will probably have problems with algae/mold growth.
The good new is that for the most part that stuff won't have much of an effect on the wood once it is dried and milled to it's final size. Most of that type of growth is only going to be on the surface, and will only be viable while there is enough moisture for it to growth on/with.

MTCW,
Dave:)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Thank you all,

As long as it won't cause permanent damage I can live with it, and I'm sure a bleach water mix won't do any damage either.

Once again thanks,

J

jeff...

Jeff,

I like how you always think outside the box.:lol:

Yeah just save a beer or two to drink - don't waste it all, pouring it on the wood to get things started, you know?

Second thought most store bought beer won't do the trick - buy yourself some yeast and culture it in some luke warm water - pour that on the wood - drink the beer.

Later

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
So Jeff, are we indulging tonight.
Yahoo it's Friday let the beer flow freely.!!!!

Just kidding.

Hey Jimmy I have the same problem on my north side facing wall of my shop.
But crazy enough what ever I leave out there, ie stuff that I am too lazy to put away doesn't get mold on it. but the side of the shop does. (maybe that stuff doesn't really stay out there all that long):embaresse
Cause it doesn't get the sunlight right on it to dry it.
So once a year I go out there with a gallon of bleach in my garden sprayer and spray the side,wait 10 minutes then hose it off good.
All gone, go for another 12 months.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
So Jeff, are we indulging tonight.
Yahoo it's Friday let the beer flow freely.!!!!

Just kidding.

Hey Jimmy I have the same problem on my north side facing wall of my shop.
But crazy enough what ever I leave out there, ie stuff that I am too lazy to put away doesn't get mold on it. but the side of the shop does. (maybe that stuff doesn't really stay out there all that long):embaresse
Cause it doesn't get the sunlight right on it to dry it.
So once a year I go out there with a gallon of bleach in my garden sprayer and spray the side,wait 10 minutes then hose it off good.
All gone, go for another 12 months.

Mac,
Thanks, do you use the bleach straight up, or mix it with water. It seems come back fast from pressure washing, so I have to try something else.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Jimmy, sometimes I would thin it just a bit, or use it straight.
Depends on application.
1. Full strength on vertical surfaces diluted on horizontal.
2. Am I spraying around plants that I like, if so dilute it and then when washing off really spray the plants with lots of water.
3. on really nasty stuff I get the outdoor bleach from lowe's and use full strenght

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Depends on application.
2. Am I spraying around plants that I like, if so dilute it and then when washing off really spray the plants with lots of water.
3. on really nasty stuff I get the outdoor bleach from lowe's and use full strenght

Thanks Mac.:icon_thum

J

jeff...

Depends on application.

What's the difference with the outdoor bleach from regular bleach - cept the color and price?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If you are going to use "bleach" around where plants might be affected by the run off, use an Oxygen based "bleach" like Oxy-Clean. It is peroxide based and won't have the bad effects that chlorine based bleach will have on plants, but will do just as good of a job killing the algae and mildew.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Man I didn't know that Dave. Do the Borg's carry that kind of bleach or do you have to get it special?

Jeff the outdoor bleach to me is allot thicker bodied and sticks better to the sides of vertical surfaces. Atleast thats what my experience has been. Part of one of my jobs working for this guy was washing houses. And this is what I was taught. Not saying it 's the best way just what I was shown to do.

But heck most of the time you end up spraying around plants and stuff but with Dave's suggestion that would take care of the worry.
Sure wish I had of known about that oxy-stuff before

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Man I didn't know that Dave. Do the Borg's carry that kind of bleach or do you have to get it special?

Jeff the outdoor bleach to me is allot thicker bodied and sticks better to the sides of vertical surfaces. Atleast thats what my experience has been. Part of one of my jobs working for this guy was washing houses. And this is what I was taught. Not saying it 's the best way just what I was shown to do.

But heck most of the time you end up spraying around plants and stuff but with Dave's suggestion that would take care of the worry.
Sure wish I had of known about that oxy-stuff before

You should be able to find it at the BORG, and there is also a guy who sells it on TV if you want to stay really late http://www.oxiclean.com/default2.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS