Moderation and the BoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
A couple weeks a go we as the BoD of directors went to the Mod and Staff and told them to work through Tracy and myself and not engage the general BoD in moderation. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f39/moderation-bod-29934/

Then in this thread: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f39/conversation-jackleg-30455/index2.html a the BoD member unmoderated a thread without working through Tracy or myself. Travis I am not picking on you but when we set a site policy the BoD must adhere to it or we can't expect others to adhere. I fully agree expressions like %^&%)@#&^ are implied profanity but I see no violation. To ban the use would be way over board.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
First off, thank-you for doing this in a thread. I get tired of PM's.

Second off, I am glad you posted this, and I am not taking it as picking on me at all.

I do not moderate except in what I consider rare circumstances. I moderated Alan when he slammed Glenn, and I would have moderated Glenn if his post had been still up for that situation.

As for the *#* I felt it was out of control and action needed to be taken sooner than later to prevent a bad situation from getting worse. I waited to see if Scott or Tracy got on line but didn't happen, and I am not going to call you for this mess as all our lives are pretty busy. Tracy has been out of town and sick, and you have commented on heavy work hours and are building a house.

To me, Dennis had gotten on a witch hunt. You may feel *# is implied profanity, but I do not agree with that. In some instances it is, but in others it is not.

Regardless, it has been used on this site for years, myself included.

On the contrary, I would suggest that at times some of the moderator's go on 'witch hunts', and I felt this was an example of one of those situations. At times it is after people, other times for certain "behaviors"

Multiple people had posted they thought Dennis was over the line, but none of them nor he seemed willing to do anything about it.

Additionally, if I read it right and it was Dennis' comments, for him to say the BOD trying to curry favor was inappropriate.

I will admit when I am out of line, and I will apologize for it, but I can't say that I believe this was one of those situations. I did PM Reggie and apologize saying his post was not out of line.

The whole reason I did what I did was because I felt that if it were allowed to fester overnight it would be worse, and if the worst was I would get chastised I could live with that.

By the way, I really didn't do any moderation. I "de-moderated". ;-)

I will apologize to all of you for any issues I cause from this, but I do not believe my actions were short sighted

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Not taking sides here as both of you are correct. I watched the thread on my phone in between naps and attempted to get up and on the laptop and edit it. That didn't happen as the Tamaflu and high power cough syrup have had me in a funk for days. I think the right thing here was someone needed to step in with a positive action, and Travis took an ugly bull by the horns and did what was necessary. I don't think this is a textbook case as both Senior Moderators were somewhat unavailable. I am OK with the de-moderation given the circumstances on this one. Dennis was overboard in my opinion. Travis, Did you PM Dennis?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
No, I didn't PM Dennis as I thought that would be out of line and could wait on you two.

Not taking sides here as both of you are correct. I watched the thread on my phone in between naps and attempted to get up and on the laptop and edit it. That didn't happen as the Tamaflu and high power cough syrup have had me in a funk for days. I think the right thing here was someone needed to step in with a positive action, and Travis took an ugly bull by the horns and did what was necessary. I don't think this is a textbook case as both Senior Moderators were somewhat unavailable. I am OK with the de-moderation given the circumstances on this one. Dennis was overboard in my opinion. Travis, Did you PM Dennis?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Travis I am cool. I reallly appreciate you watching our backs. Work has really got me upside down and sideways. I have not been on the site much excpet to respond to PM's.

M

McRabbet

I agree that the right decision was made, but I think we all see a lesson in this case -- to quote Strother Marin in Cool Hand Luke: "What we have here is a failure to communicate..." -- let's make every effort to pass along information when we take action so feathers don't get ruffled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors