MJ splitter - is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Micro Jig's table saw splitter system...is it safe?

http://www.microjig.com/products/mj-splitter-steel-pro/design-concept.shtml

NOTE - as mentioned elsewhere in forums, splitters only do so much. There are numerous options and additional safety steps that need to be taken to ensure against kickback, ride-up, etc. Here's a great discussion on the dangers of assuming you're safe just because you're using a riving knife (or splitter):

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f31/riving-knife-am-i-missing-something-28545/?highlight=splitter

Glennbear

Glenn
I do not own a MJ splitter system but anything that serves to keep the kerf from closing is a good thing. In the thread you link to I quoted the original poster and I believe that quote applies to the MJ setup also:

"I agree with most woodworkers that a riving knife is going to make woodworking safer, but not if we perceive that technology as a panacea and ignore time tested table saw safety measures."

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Glennbear - Thanks for the response and insight, much appreciated.

It is funny that you just answered my post. I was just going to put up another post announcing the wonderful Fastcap catalog that I stumbled upon recently. Before posting I decided to search the forums to see if such a post (on Fastcap) had been done already. First thing I find is that you beat me to it. Synchronicity is a beautiful thing.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have the MJ splitters, used them for a couple of years now. They work great, the only time they've ever come out was when I was ripping 2x4 and 2x8 Southern Yellow Pine. The wood was still rather wet and ripping released a lot of stress, closing the kerf. Is that a bad thing, that they come out? Perhaps. Worse would probably be to push things "through" with a heavy-duty metal splitter, which could lead to kickback. I've been tempted to simply make some hardwood splitters the right thickness and glue it directly into the ZCI, that way it can't accidentally come out. But then I'd have to worry about the ZCI and the splitter getting lifted out of the table when the stock pinches. It's always something :)

Long story short, if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Apart from non-through cuts, I have _never_ made a cut without a splitter since I got them. Just no excuse when it only takes two seconds.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have no experience with the MJ splitter, but all the woodworking rags fell in love with it a couple years back. I use my shop built ZCI's, and designed a jig to cut both the blade kerf and a kert for a splitter. Also works to lengthen the slot for a riving knife. Can't publish anything right now, but you are welcome to visit and see what I use.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Bas - Thank you for responding and informing me of your previous post. Have you used the metal (encased in plastic) version or just the original plastic version?

Glennbear

Glenn
I have the MJ splitters, used them for a couple of years now. They work great, the only time they've ever come out was when I was ripping 2x4 and 2x8 Southern Yellow Pine. The wood was still rather wet and ripping released a lot of stress, closing the kerf. Is that a bad thing, that they come out? Perhaps. Worse would probably be to push things "through" with a heavy-duty metal splitter, which could lead to kickback. I've been tempted to simply make some hardwood splitters the right thickness and glue it directly into the ZCI, that way it can't accidentally come out. But then I'd have to worry about the ZCI and the splitter getting lifted out of the table when the stock pinches. It's always something :)

Long story short, if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Apart from non-through cuts, I have _never_ made a cut without a splitter since I got them. Just no excuse when it only takes two seconds.

Reading the material that Dino linked to, MJ acknowledges that they come out from time to time but still keep the kerf open and the saw operator should see that as a flag that something is going astray. :wsmile:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas - Thank you for responding and informing me of your previous post. Have you used the metal (encased in plastic) version or just the original plastic version?
Just the plastic ones. I've been tempted to get the metal one (because I want it, not because I need it), but not tempted enough. What I really want is an overhead guard, both for safety and dust collection.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I have the steel (blue) MJ splitter and love it. I have been using it for over two years now. For the price, you can't beat it. The only negative thing I can say is that it takes some time (a few hours) to install it. The directions are great.

Just the other day, I was cutting some maple that pinched badly. The kerf keeper came out and stuck in the kerf.

I would also highly recommend the GRRipper push stick. It helps incredibly with ripping small pieces safely.

Amy

JohnW

New User
John
I use the steel encased MJ splitters and consider them a valuable piece on my table saw safety items. They not only keep kerf open but help prevent kickback and help ensure a more accurate cut by keeping the board tight against the fence as it travels past the saw.

And a BIG SECOND to Amy's view of the Grrrripper. I consider it the best safety device I own...besides the few brain cells I have left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS