Microsoft Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Does everyone have this product? It comes with a simple budget spreadsheet that I think would be helpful in forecasting. Directors who have project/cost responsibilities could present expected cost, followed at project end of actual expenses/gain. If you are already using a budget planner, please excuse me, as I couldn't find any in the materials Doug gave me on Friday. And if in your experience, you don't think a budget plan is necessary for the purposes of the board's operation, let me know your feelings on that as well.

Thanks, Joe

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Joe we did not have a formal budget last year. We did talk about establishing one but it was not a top priority. I agree one should be created. Now that we have a year under our belt it might be easier to create a plan.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I thought of Works (free) since not everyone may already have Excel ($$$). I've got both, so I can go with either. However, Works has some already put together templates included. I'll send you guys one example via email to look over.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Joe, I went to get a copy of Works and it $40, certainly not much but not free:gar-Bi I have no problem using whatever you prefer.

Just as an aside, I pretty sure the Works templates can be converted to work in excel. The one you sent, I converted to both windows and Mac excel with out any obvious problems.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
That's true about Excel/Word recognizing Works. But I'm surprised you don't already have Works in your ver of Windows. Have you clicked START, typed 'works' in the search box?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Joe, I don't have MS Works on my machine, but as others have stated, I'm pretty sure Excel will recognize the files. If you go with Excel, I would recommend saving them in ".xls" format and stay away from the newer format ".xlsx" as some folks may not have that new of a version. Good job taking the initiative to put this together. :icon_thum

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
That's true about Excel/Word recognizing Works. But I'm surprised you don't already have Works in your ver of Windows. Have you clicked START, typed 'works' in the search box?
If I remember correctly, Works does not come with the OS. But most manufacturers who pre-install windows will include Works as part of their software package. Since all machines have OEM versions of windows 7, there is no Works. Yes I searched for it. But I coud be the only one.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
OK. But if you guys get a chance before Tuesdays conf call to play with that little budget planner, let me know what you think. Change some names, plug in some data etc.
Thanks,

Joe

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
It works fine on my work machine. As far as budget goes I ONLY need $1.2 million this year. Last year I asked for $1.5 million.

M

McRabbet

I have both MS Works 7.0 and MS Excel (as part of MS Office 2007 Professional version), so I can work with either program although I prefer Excel. I agree that if we use Excel that we save files in the 2003 format (.xls) so there are no interchange issues. Joe, if you sent out a budget template, I did not get it -- my email is rrpayne@bellsouth.net. Thanks -- I'll be on the conf call tomorrow evening.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Budget Proposals

I've received completed proposals from Scott Miller.

Yeah SCOTT!:banana: Anyone else?

BTW, Scott sent his 4 proposals (He has 4 projects) combined into a Workbook. Makes it more convenient for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS