Mechanical Carpenter's Pencil

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Re: Posted some Pictures

Has anyone made one of these mechanical carpenters pencils?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pkspcl.html

Working with the free handout carpenters pencils from shows is a real PITA. Seems like a lot of times the lead is broken on the inside of the pencil. I sharpen and hit broken lead and sharpen some more till I get to good lead, before I know it I have nothing but a stub of a pencil. Looks like this woodshop pencil would be a great improvment, if it would store spare lead inside the pencil it would be even better.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Jeff, I split your post off to a separate thread in hopes that more members will see it.

D L

J

jeff...

Was wondering what happened, for a min there I thought I had unknown powers.:lol:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Well, I happen to have one!

Er, had one. It rolled off a clipboard and fell behind my cabinets. Lost till I tear out the cabinets...

Anyway, I'm mixed on it.

Its a nice beefy pencil, but I feel mechanism is a bit sloppy. To extend the lead, it completely lets go of it. I like >2" of lead as much as the next guy....

Mine was a gift from a fellow traveller. It seemed to be well built and the mechanisms were solid.

Jim

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
The problem with pencils is the lead starts out sharp, gradually dulls and your nice layout lines are not so nice anymore due to the widening of the line. Try a good cheap pen. Line width stays the same day after day. Just my 2 centavos

MIke

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
I keep a battery powered pencil sharpener on my bench (took it to Woodguy's shop and had the one power tool he did NOT have!!!) and just sharpen my plain old pencil often to keep lines nice and crisp.

J

jeff...

When it comes to layout lines for furniture building, I actually use a razor knife instead of a pencil. But when doing carpentry I like the big ole fat carpenter's pencils rather than those skinny school pencils. Right now I'm in carpentry mode with my ball and chain project.

Matt about time someone has power tool woodguy doesn't have, you score :lol:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I just ordered a couple of marking knives last week from the Japan Woodworker site. One left hand bevel and one right hand bevel. They should be here on Friday and then I am going to make some handles for them that I saw in Shop Notes magazine.

01.042.08.jpg

D L

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I remember this article from Wood magazine. It's available as a kit. It looks like it would be a fun little project for $14.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Chris, I looked at that knife project also but the kit was no longer available from the listed source and I wasn't sure where to find the W-1 tool steel they recommend using.......at least not in Fayetteville.:roll:

D L

chris99z71

New User
Chris
DL,
That link was to the wood magazine store. I put the kit in my "cart" and started going through checkout. I got all the way to the point where it was asking for credit card info and it never told me that it wasn't available. Maybe if I actually placed the order it would tell me?

Update: Curiosity got the best of me so I called and they indeed have it in stock.
Shipping is only $2.95 - so the total is $16.90 shipped. Most of the marking knives I've seen go for ~$15 without a blade cover/sheath so I don't think the price is too bad. Not to mention the gratification of having made it yourself! But that's just me...

Last edited:
J

jeff...

Thats nice marking knife and all but for the time being I think I'll stick with my machinest square and razor knife. Heck I can't even find to to get in my shop right now let alone acutally make something in there. :roll:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
chris99z71 said:
DL,
That link was to the wood magazine store. I put the kit in my "cart" and started going through checkout. I got all the way to the point where it was asking for credit card info and it never told me that it wasn't available. Maybe if I actually placed the order it would tell me?

Update: Curiosity got the best of me so I called and they indeed have it in stock.
Shipping is only $2.95 - so the total is $16.90 shipped. Most of the marking knives I've seen go for ~$15 without a blade cover/sheath so I don't think the price is too bad. Not to mention the gratification of having made it yourself! But that's just me...

Thanks Chris. The original source from the article was listed as Schlabaugh and Sons in Iowa and I could not find it when I checked their website. I didn't even think to check the Wood Magazine Store. :BangHead:

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS