Measuring and marking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
There are lots of discussions on the web on measuring tools, but they usually degenerate into "My Foo square is .00014 more accurate than your Bar square". Personally, I'm happy if my projects come out within 1/64" - about .015 :) (or half a millimeter, for us metric fans). Anything smaller than that I can clamp, sand or hammer into submission!

I have an economy model Swanson 12" combination square that I use for most things. It is pretty square, but not perfect. I also have the HF digital caliper that is quite useful. I purchased a few other items, but they don't get much use.

So, what do you use for measuring and laying out your work? Combination square? Ruler? Try square? What is your go-to tool for setting up your power tools (knives, blade, miter slot)? If you could only take two measuring tools to the desert island (which does have a workshop), which ones do you take? What tool did you thing was the cat's meow and just gathers dust?

Yes, I'm looking for Christmas gifts in the sweet spot of $20 - $70 :)

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I stole my wife's 150cm metal ruler she uses for cutting fabric. It is a great straight edge and it is marked in millimeters and the other system :rolf:. I use it more than anything else.

I would also want a good combo square.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
You just can't beat a good combination square set - well, you can, but it isn't any good afterwards.

And my trusty 25 ft tape

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Starrett 12" combo square, Starrett 6" combo square. The reason I say Starrett is that it is heavy, well built, and will stand up to punishment. The satin finish is easy to read, and the etching is very well done.

Next, a dial caliper. One with fractions if you do Imperial scale is a big plus. I find it very nice in use for planing wood, measuring dadoes, mortises, etc.

Tool tune up I go to dial indicators. I am not real big on the electronic ones, I like the dial ones. I have 2 from Harbor Freight and am happy with them.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For checking for square, I use a try square. Its accurate and stays that way.

I also have 3 combination squares (7", 12", and 16"). I use these for depth measurement of mortises, length of tenons, locating screw/dowel holes from the end of a board, etc. I do not use them to check for square, because they have aluminum bodies, and inevitably pull out of square when tightened. (If I had a Starrett with a steel or cast body, I would use it for square also). Mostly they are used to set a dimension and then kept set for repeatable measurements. The 7" gets the most use (I have two and both are in use most of the time) as I also use it for setting router bit, and TS blade heights.

I use either the scale from one of the combo squares or a machinists scale to set fence to blade measurements. Most other measurements are by a variety of tools (aluminum rule, tape measure, folding rule, etc) but I try to make matching dimensions with the same measuring tool.

I use a vernier caliper (vernier scale, not dial) or micrometer to measure screw diameters, drill bits, plywood thickness, etc.

For a Christmas list, I would go for the Starrett combo, or a quality, guaranteed accurate try square. Of course on the electronics side, there is always the Wixeys, but I don't have any of those.

I also use a marking gauge to check comparative wood thickness, lay out mortises, etc. I have a Crown that I am not too happy with, but that is something I will probably make myself if/when i find the time. They are great for repetitive marking.

Go

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I'll take a contrarian approach and say I try not to measure if I don't have to (but I do love my Starrett Combination Squares/rulers and Fast Cap flat back Tape Measure!). I really like my Veritas Bar Gauge: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32585&cat=1,43513
attached to 2 pieces of straight QS KD Ash. Look Ma, no numbers or fine lines to misinterpret! Just extend it out to the distance you want to reproduce, crank down on the knurled knob to lock it and you have an exact measurement down to the nanometer. Here it is (out of focus) laying out an island top:
Imported_Photos_00000.jpg

Outside measurements use the brass pin:
Imported_Photos_00004.jpg

Cut some shorter pieces of wood for smaller measurements.

Another favorite is the 4 in 1 Measuring Stick from that bastion of precision, Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45708
As Ron Popiel said: "It really, really works!"

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
This thread had the word "measure" in the title. Ads popped up at the top based on that. One of them was a link entitled "measuring bra size" :rotflm:. Some how, I don't think that was what Bas had in mind when he asked about measuring tools. :gar-La;

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
This thread had the word "measure" in the title. Ads popped up at the top based on that. One of them was a link entitled "measuring bra size" :rotflm:. Some how, I don't think that was what Bas had in mind when he asked about measuring tools. :gar-La;
:crossedlips: :crossedlips: :crossedlips: :crossedlips:
:crossedlips: :crossedlips: :crossedlips: :crossedlips:

and :crossedlips::crossedlips::crossedlips:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Oh, before I forget, :crossedlips: :crossedlips: :crossedlips: :crossedlips:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That's actually a very interesting way of measuring. I had to make some cauls this evening, 17 7/8. To be more precise, they needed to be just under 18". I could have measured it off the project using a bar gauge.

A nanometer, that's what in imperial, an inchlet? :)

rhett

New User
rhett
A combo square is my go to item. I have a old one of my grandfathers and it is really heavy. Still don't know why they put a level on them. I also use a 12' tape in the shop. If its bigger than 12', I don't really want to mess with it. For machine set-up I use a plastic drafting square. Always square cause it has a cross brace.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I used to use a combination square but then I got a couple engineers squares and found my combination square was not so accurate. I still use it to measure with sometimes. I also like large plastic draftsman's triangles for setup. They are very accurate, won't hurt the teeth on your blades, and are cheap. I have had to mail order to get the 12 inch size but it was worth the trouble.

Whenever possible, I measure to the stop or rip fence instead of marking the wood. I use steel rulers from Lee Valley for anything 3 feet or less. More than that, I use a HF 30 foot tape measure that checks out pretty well versus my steel rulers. I like my fractional dial caliper (I think it came from hartville tool but several places have them for about $30). I have a HF digital but it eats batterys.

It isn't exactly measuring but I like to have a box of old business cards in the shop. I put them up against stops to change the length of pieces in quite small increments. I also take notes on them.

Jim

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
You guys are wasting time and money on stuff you don't need. Here's how I do it. For any distance less than a foot I use the distance between the tip of my thumb and its first knuckle. For anything 1 foot or longer, I slip off my shoe and use my foot as a measuring stick. Works everytime. Here's a picture of a box I built using my thumb and foot.

warp.jpg

Now that's Fine Woodworking! :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

Ernie

maomoonshiner

New User
morgan
I've got an old Emmerich ~6" try square (flea market find!) marked in millimeters and a 24" steel rule that I'd have along with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS