Massive Wood Clearing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodydiver

New User
curt
I cant believe all the woods that charlotte is clearing. They are wiping out all sorts of wood all around the airport, just mowing them down and putting them in big piles. Lots of housing additions, medical buildings and other reasons. Hundreds of acres are being decimated, it seams so wasteful just to waste these trees this way.
Some of the trees are huge, and would make a lot of good projects for all of us. I wish i knew how to clame some of the trees, would love to share them rather than see them turned to ash or mulch.
Anyone know what we could do?
curt

J

jeff...

I cant believe all the woods that charlotte is clearing. They are wiping out all sorts of wood all around the airport, just mowing them down and putting them in big piles. Lots of housing additions, medical buildings and other reasons. Hundreds of acres are being decimated, it seams so wasteful just to waste these trees this way.
Some of the trees are huge, and would make a lot of good projects for all of us. I wish i knew how to clame some of the trees, would love to share them rather than see them turned to ash or mulch.
Anyone know what we could do?
curt

Curt, I agree it's a waste. About the only thing I know to do is to lobby your elected representives. Many states and counties already have recycling laws in place. Albeit wood is a renable resource, it takes decades to renew. Want to see a sad sight? Head over to your local landfill and see what they do with trees over there. I'm not a tree hugger by anymeans, but it does pain me to see good wood go to waste. The state really should make it attractive to open private wood recycling centers. There are lots of uses for trees, lumber, firewood and mulch being just a few them. Try and do your part and Treecycle it just makes sense.

Thanks

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Believe me.. I have tried to work with Mecklenburg County and the City..They act as though they are interested, but never follow through.

It is truly sad what Charlotte is calling "progress"

sapwood

New User
Roger
It is depressing . . . in Charlotte and elsewhere. Seems even the smaller developments (commercial or residential) are bent on clear cutting. At best they leave a small buffer with no effort to integrate existing flora. :crybaby2:

Roger

rbdoby

New User
Rick
I hate to see good timber wasted. Would it be possible to bypass the government and talk directly to the contractors cutting the timber? Wood you haul away is wood they don't have to fool with.

Rick Doby

J

jeff...

Even if the passed a law that trees over x diameter be taken to a recycling center, just imagine the savings in land fill space alone, let alone the other benefits. Sometimes, I think our elected representatives can't see the forest for the trees, it's sickening.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I'll sign it if someone wants to put together a petition! Seems like tree cycling would be a win/win for everyone! I also hate seeing the clear cutting practices used these days.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The really sad thing is that what little they replant is replaced with Bradford pears:roll:

J

jeff...

Kyle looks like you got some support down there in Mecklenburg County. You may want to get a petition together, grassroots efforts really do make a difference and might be just the push you need to get you elected officials off their behinds.

Thanks

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
That is a good thought..It would have to come through in the form of a state bill introduced by our local representatives to be effective otherwise I can replace my charmin double ply with the amount of petitions that went no where after I signed them..

Maybe a petition to introduce a bill to reduce landfill waste and force usable timber to be tree cycled instead of tub ground into biomass.

I will sharpen my pen.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
It is a down right SHAME!!!!! They are doing the same thing around Gastonia. They are widening by where I work. Man they've got huge I mean HUGE oaks down by the pile.I could hide my S10 pickup behind them. I have to dry my eyes everyday before I go into work.:crybaby2: :crybaby2: As for Charlotte how about calling action 9 tv.

PS.If it will help I'll sign also!!!!!:icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
A few years ago while I lived in TN they did some tree cutting along a place that I would consider a development site, had all kinds of huge trees down and cut into logs. I figured they were going to use them for lumber, but after they sat there for several days I asked about them only to be told that they cut them down and piled them to burn. I asked if there was no way I could get one or two for my own use....they said I'd be stealing them if I got them, they wouldn't sell them, only burn them. The stupidity of some folks is amazing. Some people would rather waste something than let anyone else benefit by it. All I can say is they are morons, and don't appreciate the idea of taking some resource that could be beneficial to many and waste it by burning it away, not even burning in a fireplace, just burned in a field in the hot summertime!!!:slap:

J

jeff...

That is a good thought..It would have to come through in the form of a state bill introduced by our local representatives to be effective otherwise I can replace my charmin double ply with the amount of petitions that went no where after I signed them..

Maybe a petition to introduce a bill to reduce landfill waste and force usable timber to be tree cycled instead of tub ground into biomass.

I will sharpen my pen.

You got some good thoughts rolling around up there Kyle. Just do it, because it's the right thing to do.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
The contractors more or less own the property until the project is complete, and it is turned back over to the owner. Most contractors don't have a problem letting people take trees off of their projects, but they do require general liability insurance. You would also have to fill out their insurance forms, and provide proof of insurance. Its sad that you have to go through all that trouble, but I guess its a nescessary evil these days in our sue happy world.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Brandon, I had to read through 15 posts before I got to the one with the main reason for this waste. Go on someone's property, trip over a root and a lawyer will be there to help you to your feet and file suit. Contractors and others involved with developments can't afford the risk.

No, I'm not against all lawyers - just those who would do anything to make a buck.

Roy

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I agree with the idea of making some way of forcing treecycling. if they cut the stuff down, they have to get the useable hardwoods, and others for that matter, to a mill somewhere close by and turn the product into useable wood. I know there has to be some environmental folks out there that have leverage with legislators and would help us push the idea of redirecting the waste into something usable other than wood chips. I really like the petition idea for a start, I'd sign it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors