Maple Plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Where is the best place to purchase a relatively small amount of maple ply? I am going to be starting on a built in kitchen nook for my brother and he wants it built from maple.

I saw some at H.D. $55.00/sheet for the first time the other day, but I'm unsure of the quality.

Matt

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
don't get "maple ply" at the BORGs, Check out Wall Lumber or some of the other suppliers listed under the "Where Are" tab up top... You will get a much better product from a dedicated shop that supplies the likes of cabinet and furniture shops than the big box retailers.

they may also have maple ply prefinished like you may want or need.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
These guys are wholesalers but will sell to individuals if you call ahead to make sure they are available. Lot closer to you than some of the others.

Jackson International Corp.
6017 NC Highway 55
Fuquay Varina, NC 27526-7919
Phone: 919-577-9994
Cell - 919-539-5510
jacksonintl@aol.com

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have recently bought a lot of maple plywood from Wall lumber and would say it has been so so. Some has been shop grade and I can deal with that, but most has not been and the top veneer has been splintered, ragged, or chipped out very badly. I have been able to cut around it, but it is not what I would expect. Still, it is not the wavy wood you buy at Home Depot.

I am going to check out Raleigh Hardwoods the Wurth group and see what their pricing is like. They seem to carry a bit of everything for the cabinet maker.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Here is a place to check out:

Century Forest Products, Inc.
7600-A Boeing Drive
Greensboro, N.C. 27409-9046
Ph: 336-665-9939
Fax: 336-665-9943
Toll Free: 1-866-655-9939

Jerry

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Matt,

A bunch of people here have used Jackson International, If I wre you I would give them a look because of how close they are. Just make sure to call ahead and they may even show you around, as they have all different kinds of plywood. I will use them for my next plywood purchase.

Good Luck,

Jimmy:mrgreen:

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
I just went to cap city looking for some about a month ago. They had one sheet which looked like the bottom of the pile - all torn up. I ended up using Birch ply with maple frames - you can't really tell the difference, and the birch provides just a hint of contrast which actualy looks quite nice. Cheaper than maple too. Just an idea.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Raleigh Hardwood Center (AKA Wurth Group) just outside the beltline on Poole Rd. is going to be your easiest place to get it. They keep it in stock, have no minimums and are open a half day on Saturdays (for the weekend warrior). Jackson International, I am sure is great, but they seem to be a hassle to deal with. Cap. City lumber would be good if they ever culled the bad stock they have and ordered new:evil:. Horizon Forest Products and McEwen Lumber are good deals but they have large minimums. The Hardwood Store in Gibbsonville is excellent but a bit of a drive.
You might consider calling a few local cabinet shops and see if you can piggy back a few sheets on one of their orders.
Dave:)

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
As has been mentioned by several others here I would say check out Jackson International. I was just up there and it is a bit different than some other places simply because it is in a large warehouse and they do a large volume business. I talked with Robin and he showed me around the place and they have a great selection and he will work with you on any size order. Was very open to small orders. His prices (which are in his head...no price list) seemed to me to be very good for the quality (furniture grade ply in a number of species). Call ahead, know what you want, and take your truck. Ask for directions. Mention NCWW. Good luck!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Wurth Group, AKA Raleigh Hardwoods is my first choice. They carry maple in several grades, and also in prefinished. If boxes are going to be natural, prefinished is the way to go. If you go during the week, ask Carolyn White to help you. She is the "brains " of that outfit. Doesn't hurt anything that she is a sweet lady. Be sure and tell that Bruce Wrenn said so. She has gone above and beyond on a couple of ocassions to get what I needed.

hockey1

New User
Jesse
If you are ever along the coast, Atlantic Venner in Beaufort is a place to get plywoods. I have seen cherry, maple, black walnut, and many others there. They supply a couple of the local boat builders in this area so their warehouse is always full of exotic woods (rough cut) too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS