Maple hf and Making Hollowing Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Here is another HF just finished. I was asked to go over the process of making your own hollowing tool so I will try. You can get M2 square cutting bits here for less than buck. I like to use 1/4" bit or samller. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRAR2?PMSECT=747&PMADID=SI0000053221&PMAVID=36
I then buy a 5/8" cold rolled rod 36" long. I use a hacksaw to cut it into two 18" pieces. You then need to get a drill bit that will drill a hole that the square bit will just fit in. Make sure it is a bit that will drill steel, don't try you brad point bits. I then mount the bar in my lathe with just a inch or two sticking out of the chuck. In our school shop an old rockwell lathe and the 3520B both have a hole in their spindle that the 5/8" rod will fit thru. One then mounts the drill bit in a jacobs chuck in the tail stock and slide it up to where it almost touches the end of the rod. A slow speed and plenty of oil helps to keep the heat down while drilling the hole into the rod. You do this by turning on the lathe and using the tail stock to feed the drill into the rod slowly using a lot of oil. drill the hole about 2/3 the the length of the square tool bit. After this is done I drill and tap a hole into the side of the rod about 3/4" from the end of the rod. This is to screw a set screw which will hold the bit in. I then put a set screw in the hole below the surface and use a grinder or sander to taper the end down. after you have got it looking the way you want the set screw can be backed out to clean up the threads. All you have to do now is to put it in a handle and your ready to go. I keep both ends of the bit sharp so that I only have to turn it around to get a sharp edge. I have less than $7.00 in one of these tools. I put a couple pics of how I drill out the hole for the tool bit and what the end of my hollowing tool looks like.
Good Luck,
Jack
100_0710-copy.jpg

100_0747-copy.jpg

100_0750-copy.jpg

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Thanks for the tutorial, Jack. Dumb question of the day:slap:...what prevents the bit/Jacobs chuck from turning so it actually cuts into the tool? :dontknow:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks for the tutorial, Jack. Dumb question of the day:slap:...what prevents the bit/Jacobs chuck from turning so it actually cuts into the tool? :dontknow:

The friction of the MT in the tail stock keeps the chuck from spinning, just like it does in your DP.

Jack, so do you use a tool like that to do all of the hollowing? How do you under cut the rim through the opening? I have a Oland tool made for my by Earl Rasmussen, that is just like that. It cuts great, but can't do the side cuts I think would be needed for a HF. Do you have an angled or swan necked version of that for those cuts?

Dave:)

JRD

New User
Jim
Ok,

I've been interested in making an Oland tool and variations for hollow form work. I figure there have to be a few others thinking along the same lines, and there has to be someone who has the tools and knowledge of metal working.

Is anyone interested in an afternoon of cranking some of these tools out.

I don't have a shop, or any knowledge of metal working but let's see what interest there might be.

Jim

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've got a few 3/4" anchor bolts laying around about 16" long with a 4" 'L' on one end. Think they could be modified in my metal lathe to work?

flyrod444

New User
Jack
DaveO,
I have one tool that I had a machine shop make around 15 years ago that has the tool bit turned at an angle. (2nd from Right) I use it for roughing out under the rim and I have made a scraper (3rd from Left) that the tip can be turned over to the side to smooth the cut out. I plan on making one that has the steel rod bent like the one's you buy. Just need more time in the day.
Jack
100_0514-copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS