Maple First Turn - Color Change

RJC58

Bob
Senior User
I’m fairly new to woodturning and have been working on first-turning and drying my first set of bowls (up to 35-ish bowls now) and just completed a few green, clear, non-spalted maple bowls. I’ve noticed a significant change in their appearance a couple days after turning. They are quite pale when initially turned but within a couple days turn darker with some blue/gray/brown tints. While I understand their color and moisture content would change a bit while drying, this color change and it’s contrast was unexpected. (Pic shows a pale, fresh turn versus 3-day old, multi-tinted turn from direct opposite sides of log. Each has Anchor Seal on end grain and while I know the seal changes the color I’m focused on the non-sealed areas). Any thoughts or explanation? Is this normal? permanent? What should I expect when revisited after 6 or so months of drying?

Attachments

• 57EBD93D-BEDB-4680-B40B-8C37F8AAAC74.jpeg
    57EBD93D-BEDB-4680-B40B-8C37F8AAAC74.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 88

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
That change of color is normal for maple----at least for the local ambrosia maple I have used. It is due to the exposure to light and will eventually stabilize as a light honey brown.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
Seems to me that it has a lot to do with where that specific tree grew. I have turned Maple anywhere from almost white to a brown so dark that it approached the Walnut species. I suspect it has to do with mineral content of the soil the tree grew in, but I am no botanist.

The variances in the wood are one of the things I love about my Maple bowls.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors