Make a new Folder from one not being used

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
When a person opens the forum and scrolls down to the Other Section, the first folder you see is the Advertiser's News. I won't go on here, this is a dead zone.

I would like to propose dropping this unused folder and establishing a folder that viewers could find ways to do things that didn't get buried in a thread and then it just becomes hard to find. It would require supervision to stop the thread departure that is all too common out in the General Woodworking folder.

This would be a place for folks who wanted to show a work-in-progress on a specific task. Six months from now, there would be a place where I could direct a member to find a way of sharpening a rip saw without looking all over the site.

This would be a place where a member could go and find the steps to take to put a shelix cutterhead in a DeWalt planer or change the knives on a Delta jointer. It would take supervision. If there was a response where another member goes on about his father gave him a jointer that doesn't need blades-- move it to power tools. Done.

I just feel like too many of the good topics in the How to and General Woodworking get lost in thread departures having virtually nothing to do with the title of the thread. In the 10 years I have been an active member, the site is moving more and more to a chat room feel that visitors do not feel like they are able to find "learning information" here. Its off to Lumberjocks or another "how to site" with more working information. Maybe I'm to critical?

I guess I am a little frustrated with how difficult it can be to find something instructional here on the site.

We have a forum for Home Improvements but I routinely see threads in General Woodworking about building a deck behind the house.

Just a request. Thank you for considering this idea ahead of time

Dan

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Great idea, it may have to wait for the software upgrade simply because all the admins will be busy with that.

In using the word "dropping" I assumed you meant dropping it further down the list. That folder will get used and should have already. I think it just hasn't been explained well enough yet.

I do agree that we need a very visible and easy to find place for all or our great tutorials.

Last edited:

Grimmy2016

Scott
Agreed Dan. I know having had conversations with other admins that the new site will allow us to do this. There has been talk about what you are discussing along with other specific areas on marketing your business, or how tos.... etc etc. I would be glad to help manage some of that work when it comes time.

I would like to see a place on the site where we can see all the Ads that currently are active on the site in once place. Or a lsit of all active advertisers in one place. I cant easily find that.

When a person opens the forum and scrolls down to the Other Section, the first folder you see is the Advertiser's News. I won't go on here, this is a dead zone.

I would like to propose dropping this unused folder and establishing a folder that viewers could find ways to do things that didn't get buried in a thread and then it just becomes hard to find. It would require supervision to stop the thread departure that is all too common out in the General Woodworking folder.

This would be a place for folks who wanted to show a work-in-progress on a specific task. Six months from now, there would be a place where I could direct a member to find a way of sharpening a rip saw without looking all over the site.

This would be a place where a member could go and find the steps to take to put a shelix cutterhead in a DeWalt planer or change the knives on a Delta jointer. It would take supervision. If there was a response where another member goes on about his father gave him a jointer that doesn't need blades-- move it to power tools. Done.

I just feel like too many of the good topics in the How to and General Woodworking get lost in thread departures having virtually nothing to do with the title of the thread. In the 10 years I have been an active member, the site is moving more and more to a chat room feel that visitors do not feel like they are able to find "learning information" here. Its off to Lumberjocks or another "how to site" with more working information. Maybe I'm to critical?

I guess I am a little frustrated with how difficult it can be to find something instructional here on the site.

We have a forum for Home Improvements but I routinely see threads in General Woodworking about building a deck behind the house.

Just a request. Thank you for considering this idea ahead of time

Dan

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great idea. As far as threads that are misplaced, like deck building under General, it is the responsibility of the thread moderator/leader to move it. Sadly many of the thread moderators/leaders are no longer active. For example Bigdog is the moderator/leader for General Woodworking and he has not been on the site since 2013. This should be revisited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS