make a bench in a day class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I was wondering if there would be any interest in a class where we would build a portable work bench that is set up for hand tools. The class would be a one day class. The point of the class would be to have a good way to learn:

1. how to cut mortises and tenons.
2. How to drawbore a mortise and tenon joint.
3. How to find a saw that is right for you.
4. How to make either a tusk tenon or a large dovetail.
5. How to use that saw so that you aren't fighting with it while ripping or cross cutting.

The ultimate goal would be to learn the skills and in the process a bench would be made.

That is as far as my thinking has gotten. Sorta. Right now the current design is 6' long and fits nicely in the back of my truck. I think I need to get it to fit into Jim's Jeep. Oh boy:eek:. And I need to redesign the face vise. Below is a picture of the prototype bench.

My goal is to make it so that if a group of us want to big project say a bureau or a paneled blanket chest. Each of us could work at home then once a month we could meet and eat (there has to be food) and work on our project together. Sharing ideas, problems and solutions.

What do you think ??

Thanks,

Jerome

portable_bench.jpg

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I am pretty sure that we can do this in a day. But we will have to hussel, which would take some of the fun out of it. I am starting to think that 2 days would be better, but that brings other problems. ie. costs. hmm.

12 mortise and tenons to be cut
8 tusk tenons to fit
1 top to rip to width and cross cut to width.

hmmm?

and then there is the issue of the silly face (leg) vise.

I want to do this project.

Oh and there will be lunch!

And there needs to be play time.

Hmmm?

by the way 6' works for me I have a short bed truck. What length would work for other folks?

Thanks,

J

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
Jerome: I agree--this project would take a minimum of two days , but more likely even more if pepople are not used to cutting tusk tenon joinery on this scale! Do you have any rough plans? Does your face vise work with wedges? I don't see anything like a vise on it except for that right angle assembly on the front right corner of the image. Also, do your hold fasts work well with the 2" top or sides? Any idea where the lumber would be obtained. There is a lumberyard in Siler City that has yellow pine in some pretty heavy duty sizes.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Realistically I think you are looking at three weekend days and some time to work at home.

One of training, practice and planning.

Time to collect materials and work at home.

One of working, correcting and more training.

Time to complete the bench at home.

One of finishing, making the vise and review.

This could all be compressed but I think you would be pushed and wishing for more time.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Jerome: I agree--this project would take a minimum of two days , but more likely even more if pepople are not used to cutting tusk tenon joinery on this scale! Do you have any rough plans? Does your face vise work with wedges? I don't see anything like a vise on it except for that right angle assembly on the front right corner of the image. Also, do your hold fasts work well with the 2" top or sides? Any idea where the lumber would be obtained. There is a lumberyard in Siler City that has yellow pine in some pretty heavy duty sizes.

Yuck this is starting to sound painful.:thumbs_do
I need to make a new bench later this month. I might try it out with a guinea pig and see how it goes.
Yes, for this bench I have used hold fasts and they work quite well. The part that I am not quite happy with is the assembly on the left hand corner. I need to decide to either improve it or switch over to a leg vise. But, in general as a vise that will hold things on edge, when used with two hold fasts it does rather well.

Nope, I haven't made a set of plans yet. Been avoiding ketch-up.
What lumber yard do you use?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
hmmm, how about doing it Woodwright Shop style? By that I mean don't try to complete an entire bench for every person in one day, but instead focus on learning the individual elements. Have prepped stock and partially finished parts for the students to work on. Four people can create the twelve mortises and tenons for a single bench very quickly, and once you've done three in class , doing twelve on your own later isn't that big of a deal. Just make sure everyone has a set of plans to take home. Also solves the transportation problem :)

It is much easier to tackle these projects on your own when you've had a chance to see the finished product. For me, getting started is always the #1 obstacle (time, skill, material, common sense and counting are obstacles 2 through 14)

What to do with the benches completed during the classs? Each group can decide who gets to keep it, or auction them off, keep them for reference for future classes, turn them into goodwill benches, lots of options.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
hmmm, how about doing it Woodwright Shop style? By that I mean don't try to complete an entire bench for every person in one day, but instead focus on learning the individual elements. Have prepped stock and partially finished parts for the students to work on. Four people can create the twelve mortises and tenons for a single bench very quickly, and once you've done three in class , doing twelve on your own later isn't that big of a deal. Just make sure everyone has a set of plans to take home. Also solves the transportation problem :)

It is much easier to tackle these projects on your own when you've had a chance to see the finished product. For me, getting started is always the #1 obstacle (time, skill, material, common sense and counting are obstacles 2 through 14)

What to do with the benches completed during the classs? Each group can decide who gets to keep it, or auction them off, keep them for reference for future classes, turn them into goodwill benches, lots of options.

Hmmm Interesting idea. But I have learned from Quilting that I can take the class, but I will probably take me two years to finish the project. Heck it'll take two years to make the time to start the project.

Margy

New User
Margy
Ok, my woodworking skills are minimal, but I know how to teach. One day = no way, two would be better, a three day weekend would be best (things always take longer than you think). Everyone making and taking home a bench is ideal, but there may be folks who want to "work together" and that would be fine as well. Sounds like a GREAT idea and many local hotels might even offer a group rate for your class. Workspace could be a problem as could tools. If you need students to bring their own, let them know. Try to make arrangements for those who don't have enough/correct tools. Figure out how many students you think you can handle and then cut it by 30%.

Let me know when the class is scheduled! :)

Margy

I am pretty sure that we can do this in a day. But we will have to hussel, which would take some of the fun out of it. I am starting to think that 2 days would be better, but that brings other problems. ie. costs. hmm.

12 mortise and tenons to be cut
8 tusk tenons to fit
1 top to rip to width and cross cut to width.

hmmm?

and then there is the issue of the silly face (leg) vise.

I want to do this project.

Oh and there will be lunch!

And there needs to be play time.

Hmmm?

by the way 6' works for me I have a short bed truck. What length would work for other folks?

Thanks,

J

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
It is going to be put off until the spring. But there seems to be enough interest to make it worth while Come on out Jan 30 to the NC Museum of History in Raleigh, I will have the silly thing or hopefully a new version on display as I do demos during the African American Cultural Celebration. It is a great event. Lots of fun.

Jerome

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I don't need the bench but I would be interested in the class as a way to learn/improve my woodworking skills like mortise and tenon work and dovetailing. I'd be glad to help build a bench for someone else. The reward for me would be the learning process.

Margy

New User
Margy
It is going to be put off until the spring. But there seems to be enough interest to make it worth while Come on out Jan 30 to the NC Museum of History in Raleigh, I will have the silly thing or hopefully a new version on display as I do demos during the African American Cultural Celebration. It is a great event. Lots of fun.

Jerome

I'll see if we can free up that weekend. I'm a bit of a museum hound (work at Smithsonian) and I'd love to see your event.

Margy

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I don't know if you have seen Bob and Dave's good fast and cheap workbench in the plans section, but supposedly Bob's son built his bench in 8 hours as part of a demonstration. I'm working on it now, but I'm not as good as Bob's son. I've probably put 20 hours into it and its still not done. I have the bench top done and he rest of the pieces glued, but I need to cut the mortise and tenons and put them all together. Having the right tools from the start may help speed it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS