Made Some Cutting Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice. Very very nice. I love the maple/ walnut/ cherry "woven" board. Gotta get me some 8/4 cherry for that. Wondering how it would look with Purpleheart instead of Walnut. Think I'm going to find out :)

dkeller_nc

New User
David
Michael - Nice work. I can testify first hand how much work these are - I made two of 'em out of the maple scrap pile last week. Pretty invetive use of the dado blade set as well.

But I've a question/ I know that maple, walnut and cherry are G.R.A.S. (Generally Regarded As Safe), but I'm wondering about the tropicals - particularly the bloodwood, which I know was used to make dyestuffs in the 18th century by boiling the chips in water (so there's a lot of stuff that can be extracted). I'm curious if you've a source that has more info than this one:

http://old.mendelu.cz/~horacek/toxic.htm

Some are a complete no-brainer - you don't use Yew anywhere around food or drink, but others are more subtle and hard to figure out. For example, apparently beech of all things is capable of causing an allergic reaction in some people. I would've never guessed.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
You do good work, Michael. On that third board, I like the positioning of the pieces, where the grain forms an ellipse.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Thanks, gentlemen.

David, I definitely wouldn't recommend eating the boards! :rotflm: Seriously, these are sanded to 1500 grit and coated with mineral oil. They are so slick that I don't think the wood would contaminate the food enough to become a problem. I can't seem to get anyone to actually use them anyway. They wind up being put on a shelf and looked at instead of being used. Someone actually asked about getting a wall hanger for one of them...

dkeller_nc

New User
David
"They wind up being put on a shelf and looked at instead of being used. Someone actually asked about getting a wall hanger for one of them..."

Ha! That's funny (sort of). I've had the same problem with other things - I made a toy box for my niece and nephews. Typical of a woodworker, I made it over-the-top with dovetails, etc... and gave it to them for Christmas. My brother left it at my parent's house for months because he was afraid that they would "mess it up" (they're 2, 4 and 8 years old). It took me a while to convince him that it was useless without being used....

Regarding food contamination, I tend to agree that the whole "food safe" thing is over blown. I use a curing varnish on cutting boards - so long as it isn't BLO from 35 years ago (so it has lead in it), I figure the risk is very small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS