M-WTCA Meeting Nov 8 in Bethania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The fall meeting of the NC section of the Midwest Tool Collectors Association will be held at Bethania Moravian Church on November 8. The meeting theme wil be Fancy Tools and will feature a demo of a Rose Engine Lathe and discussion of ornamental turning.
http://www.townofbethania.org/
http://www.woodturner.org/products/aw/howto/rose/MDFOverview.pdf

If you have not attended an M-WTCA meeting the agenda goes like this:
0730-0900 Registration, Pastries/Coffee, Swap and Sell (bring cash)
0900-1000 Swap and Sell continues, Break Out Session w/discussion of displays
1000 Business Meeting
1015-1115 Program
1130-1200 Auction (great deals)
1200-100pm Lunch (included with registration)
100pm Guided tour of the Bethania National Historic district

Directions:
US-52 north of Winston-Salem to exit 118 (NC 65) left (west) for 3 miles
Bethania Moravian Church entrance ~100 yds prior to stop sign at Bethania Main St.
Meeting entrance at rear of church.
Registration at door: Members $15, Guests $10 (Includes coffee/sodas/pastries/killer lunch)

Feel free to PM me or Ed Hobbs (Hobbsed) if there are any questions. Mary Ann and I will be driving and will have room for 2 riders if anyone wants to carpool with us from Concord.

Additional info about M-WTCA here: http://www.mwtca.org/

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Unfortunately we will not be able to take additional riders as we will be spending Friday night in Winston-Salem.
Hope some of you folks will be able to attend Saturday. You turners should be all over this meeting. The Holtzapffel Lathe w/Rose Engine is very rare.

J

jeff...

I clicked on the .pdf and waited for over 5 mins while it tried to paint the screen, it teased me with it's slow pixel painting and was so slow I had to finally close it.

You sure that link is clean and isn't some kind of malicious code meant to draw people to the dark side? It had me captivated...

sawman

New User
Albert
Jeff I waited until the mb counter stopped and then tried to paint the blank screen, clicked on the blank screen, up came the pdf about the rose engine, which I read. Very interesting lathe, lots of gears and gadgets but not enough to pull me to the dark side.

Later,
Albert :saw:

hobbsed

New User
Ed
Mark,

Thanks for getting this notice out on the site. Been away buying foot powered machinery and let posting a note on this meeting slip by me.

Anyone that has an interest in antique/traditional primarily hand wood working tools will really enjoy the meeting. Great opportunity to meet others that share our interest and acquire tools at very good prices.

Just because it says Mid West, don't let that worry you. We have 4 great meetings in NC each year plus many others around the country. You get four issues of our 48-52 page publication, The Gristmill, plus a reprint of an old catalog or book. The 2008 special publication is an 1894 Miller Falls catalog plus a CD which has a book on the history of braces on it.

Join now or at the meeting and you get the rest of 2008 and 2009 for the annual dues of $25.

Hope to see others there.

Thanks Ed

PS.. Will at least have some pictures of several pieces of foot powered machinery I am offering for sale. Too many pieces and not enough room.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
This is a great way to pick up some needed hand tools at great prices as there is usually a few or more tables with folks wanting to get rid of extras. At the last meeting I picked up an almost new Starett combo square for $5 - usually retails for $50 + .
Good Times, lots of great folks, and the lunch is included inthe admission price.
I'll be going and have room for a few riders - if your interested Pm me.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I really wanted to make this one. Unfortunately I still have too much work to do on my house.

It would be great if someone would take a couple pics to share!!!

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Last call , leaving from Cary to the meeting and have room for a few riders - if anyone else is interested . Send me a note.
Pete

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
ncww_at_Bethania.jpg

Me, Pete Buck and Mark Gottesman after a big lunch. Stan Suther was there too but I couldn't find him when we took the photo...Sorry Stan!

A great time today at the M-WTCA meeting! Very interesting demonstration and discussion of the Rose Engine Lathe by two fellows who live very near to me. I did some prep for this meeting to try to understand how these things work. Not until they turned it on and started taking very tiny cuts with a spinning tool and slowly turning the workpiece did I really understand how these things work.
Oh another thing...quit yer' bellyaching about how expensive Festools are...the large versions of these lathes go for ~$40,000-$60,000:swoon:

rambling_rose_lathe.jpg

Examples of ornamental turning:

rosette_work.jpg

Here's one that followed me home:

rose_lathe_ornamental_turning_scratch_awl.jpg

rose_lathe_awl_closeup.jpg

Here are some shots from the Swap-N-Sell session:
swap_and_sell.jpg

Got Woodies?

got_woodies.jpg

An awesome lunch was part of the meeting. The church mentioned they had won some awards for their Chicken Pie. It was the best Chicken Pie I have ever had! The Apple pie was very good too! It was worth the trip just for the lunch!

Next meeting is in Hillsborough on Jan 17th in the Big Barn. All you Trianguloids need to try to attend. Great deals at the auction!:icon_thum

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks to Mark for the pictures. Echo his comments on the food and the demo of the Rose Engine. Not being a 'turner' myself, I was absolutely amazed to see the talent that went into building the engine and also the results of using it.

hobbsed

New User
Ed
Mark,

Great pictures and article!! Good seeing you and take care of yourself.

Hope everyone that has any interest in antique/tradition hand tools takes a good look at them and that they see what they are missing by not belonging to M-WTCA and attending the meetings. That program was very interesting.

The next meeting is in Hillsborough, NC on Jan 17, 2009. That meeting should be a little bigger (about 120 or so) when compared to Bethania.

If anyone wants any more info on M-WTCA, please visit our website at www.mwtca.org or let me know.

Thanks Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS