Lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

What's the shortest piece of lumber you can buy at a lumber yard? I guess I'm asking what are the common lengths for standard dimensional hardwood lumber and do the carry anything below 4'?

Thanks

nelsone

New User
Ed
Wurth Wood Products (Charlotte Hardwood) will cut a piece to any length as long as what is left is at least 6' in length.

J

jeff...

Wurth Wood Products (Charlotte Hardwood) will cut a piece to any length as long as what is left is at least 6' in length.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the shortest piece of hardwood lumber I would hang on to. 6' seems reasonable but I may go down to 4'. I'm toying with the idea of building an external insulated storage locker complete with a dehumidifier to store kiln dried lumber. thinking on stacking lumber vertically, the locker will have a 9' ceiling and I think be an 8' x10'. 8 x 10. With a 9' ceiling I can get 8' boards in with no problem. I really want to get all the lumber out of my shop, clean it out and rearrange a few things so I can start building furniture in there again. this way I could just bring in just the materials for what I'm going to build. Right now my shop seems to have become lumber storage with no room left to build furniture.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
FWIW...I could probably get away with using 4' pieces on a lot of the projects I (well the LOML) has planned for me to do. But that's just MTCW.

jimwill48

James
I would also agree 4' seems to be a good size. A lot of my projects are in need of 36" or 48" lengths.

JW

clowman

Clay Lowman
As stated above, and in my experience, most lumber yards I have visited will let me cut any length, as long as I put back at least 6feet.

William Roscoe

New User
William
I've got the same problem. Before you start on this, you should consider a larger bldg. so you won't be faced with the same problem a year or 2 down the road. You can never have too much storage space;-)

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Jeff,

I also sell shorts bundles that are very reasonably priced. Shorts to me are dried pieces (Air or Kiln) that are less than 3 feet in length and range 3" to 12" wide and a mix of 4/4 and 5/4 stock. Usually 15-20 bf under 35/bucks per bundle.

6 feet to 8 feet goes for less than 8+.

Its all good wood :) just limited by the makers creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS