Lumber Storage Plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
With the purchase of so much wood from bonewood, I need a place to put it. I have a Triton lumber rack, but it doesn't have the room for much more.

I'd like to build something to store lumber (dry, of course) inside my garage. I've seen the wall hung systems (like woodguy) has and like it a lot. Is that a strong, reliable, and REASONABLY priced system to build? :eusa_thin

Does anyone have any plans (or do I even need them) for a rack like that? (Lord knows I don't want to build it and not make it strong enough) :-?

Or is there a better method?

chris99z71

New User
Chris
It's funny you should ask that as I'm in the process of building a rack modeled after Woodguy's. My exception is that I have concrete basement walls in my shop that I'm not going to drill into. I'm bolting the uprights to the exposed floor joists (3/8" bolts) and setting the bottom of the upright on a piece of PT 2x4 that sits on the floor. I'm blocking blocking uprights out about 2" from the wall to clear a window frame and some plumbing that's at the ceiling.
I worked on the horizontal parts for about 4 hours last night.
For those who aren't familiar with the design, here's a pic of Vanguard's, and a pic of Woodguy's in the background.
Simple 2x4 construction with plywood on the sides of the horizontals, lapping back over the vertical.

FYI, if you're looking for bolts, Agri-Supply is the cheapest place I've found.

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
Woodcraft sells the strongest system I've seen. It was originally used by the Phone industry. Part # 131189 is a complete set that should pull your wall down before it fails. $199.00 It gives you three standards (actually six but you use them together to form three) 3-ten inch brackets (shown in the catalog), six-fourteen inch brackets and six-eighteen inch brackets. You could spred the brackets to 5' and store 12' material but normally they are used at 4' for 8' to 10' storage. Ive been loading mine as full as I can pack the 18" brackets for 5 years now without a single mishap. I've had to lighten every other system I've tried.

J

jeff...

I like Alan's design, it'll work if your boards are short enough _ think it would be good to put in a second rung of pipes a about 1/2 way between the floor and the top rung. But is a simple design and will hold a lot of lumber.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6495

Alan comes up with some pretty cool stuff one of these days when I grow up and have a store front this is how I'll display my lumber.

Thanks

T

toolferone

Here is a pic of the WC system in my shop.

lumber%20rack%20filled.jpg

T

toolferone

Nice rack Tom!
But I don't remember that calendar pix in the NCWWer 2007 Calendar :eusa_thin
Must have sent me the wrong calendar :oops:
Roger

Yup, you would notice that:lol: ! The picture is from 2005.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks Tom. I guess I read right over the "WC". :eusa_doh: I was blinded by the beauty of that rack in the photo!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Curtis, (junkman) has a simple and ingenious wood storage concept in his space. I look forward to being able to mimic it in my future storage space. sorry, no pics, when I went to his place in Unicoi, I didn't have camera privileges.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Go, I sent a PM with answers to your questions, but for all who saw my post with two versions- I REALLY, REALLY like the vertical stack over the horizontal stack.

It is NOT for wet wood, but dry.

While it takes more space than a high wall horizontal rack which you can put other equip, etc. underneath, it has great benefits.

If you need a place to store wood that you don't use often, a horizontal rack is fine. But, if you routinely use stock from your supply, a vertical stack makes is SO much easier to inspect individual boards, BOTH SIDES, and pull them out of the rack. It is easier to load, sort, and resort, the rack also, and you don't need a ladder or step stool. As I almost found out yesterday, safety chains are a must!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, I decided to go VERTICAL! It is a nice setup and the plans Alan explained made the process simple. I used 1 3/4 Ash with Galvanized pipe cut to 17" as the rails. 1/4 x 3" lag bolts into the studs and viola!

P1010024_thumb.jpg

P1010023_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the great explaination and plans, Alan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors