Lowe's Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
Made a trip to Lowe's yesterday to purchase some wire to make an extension cord. Found myself in the tool section....by accident of course. Ended up with this.

Regular Price $119
Clearance Price $ 99
15% Discount $14
Purchase Price $85
2 Gift cards..Net out of pocket $0

PC_Sander.jpg

And yes, I realize that 15% of $99 is $14.85. But after seeing a total of $435, :wmad: a 15 minute "discussion" ensued. I finally managed to get her to realize that apparently there was an error in the stock number that the sales person had written and that there actually was a difference between 12' of 12/3 wire @ $.78/foot and a $350 box of 15 ga finishing nails and a 10 minute wait to get the tool manager to confirm the 15% discount, I decided that 85 cents just wasn't worth it. :BangHead:

T

toolferone

Nice gloat! You suck!

You know if the computer says its nails, then it's nails!!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You mean you argued with the computer? The cashier didn't know the difference between nails and wire? Geez....

Congrats on the sander!! Too bad I didn't see one of those....

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Consuckulations on the sander!! Tools good. Tools for cheap better! :)

If I was a manager at a home improvement store, I'd occasionally do an IQ test and switch barcodes on products. See if the cashier blinks if a PVC fitting rings up for $459. Or a refrigerator for $0.60.

Actually, if I was a manager at a home improvement store, I'd be in the tool department all day and not worry about pricing mistakes :tool:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
OK you get a YOU SUCK from me. I looked at that sander and thought better of it, Why I don't know, I would really like to have one of those. LOML was with me, maybe that is why I did not get it. Maybe next time.

Badabing

New User
Joe
Nice score, YOU SUCK!

I've been wanting one of those PC sanders for awhile. I actually went into Lowes yesterday and had every intention of picking one up while they are 15% off. Still can't figure out why I didn't :icon_scra

How did you find it on clearance sale? Was it a return or display model? If I can get that deal I'll buy one tomorrow!:icon_thum
:tool::tongue2:

Have fun with it and don't forget to let us know how you like it!

alleng

New User
allen
cool sander,looks like ittl take off some stock quick like! can you get fine belts for finish work?

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
It feels good to get my first suckage! :gar-Bi
As for the clearance price, the Lowe's here has very little PC items left. Mostly routers and finish sanders. I specifically looked for this item and it wasn't on display. However there was one left on the bottom shelf. I didn't realize it was marked clearance until I picked it up.....nice surprise.

I have not checked on the fine grit belts yet, but I'll report when I find a supplier.

Yeah, hard to imagine there being a difference between a box of nails and 12' of wire. The funny part is the guy looked at the label 3 times before writing the number on the tag. I'm still trying to imagine, just how big is a $300+ box of 15 guage finish nails?? Must be a contractor pack. But I had the sander, 12' of 12/3 wire and 2 20 amp plugs. Total rang at $435 and change and she just waited for me to pay her. Still have to go back. After getting home, I realized the wire rang up at $1.04/ft and it was marked down to $.78. But $3 wasn't worth a special trip, even if it is only 2 miles.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice score, Tommy! I'll throw in a little suckage too....

I'd be interested in one IF there are fine grits available for it.

Let us know how you like it.

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
Nice score, Tommy! I'll throw in a little suckage too....

I'd be interested in one IF there are fine grits available for it.

Let us know how you like it.

After a QUICK initial search, I have good news and bad news. I have seen belts up to 400 grit. However they were part of a multi pack that included belts from 60-400. But obviously someone makes them so I'll keep looking and let you know. Belts up to 180 are easily found.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Going above 220 on a belt sander doesn't give a lot of value IMO. When you get that high, you are better to go to a palm or random orbit sander IMO.

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
Going above 220 on a belt sander doesn't give a lot of value IMO. When you get that high, you are better to go to a palm or random orbit sander IMO.

I agree Travis and my interest is in the 80-180 range. Anything above 180 and I'll most likely go to the palm sander. But while I was searching, figured I'd try to answer RandyJ's question just to see what was available. Who know's the intended use. Some people sharpen tools with a belt sander. I have even seen one of these clamped to a bench and used to fine tune miters on crown molding.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Tommy,

Congrats on the new tool. Don't forget to give us a review of performance, etc. I trust the tool reviews here a whole lot more than the ones in magazines.

Ray

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
YOU SUCK! I went to HD and all I got was paste wax (thanks to Bas's suggestion) and some orange hand cleaner (enough to last me for 10-15 years). :icon_thum:eusa_danc:eusa_clap Nice score on the box of nails :rolf:.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Oh, the humanity!
Oh, the suckage!!:gar-La;

Nice score but sorry to hear about the brain-dead checkout process. Don't try paying with any $2 bills or you might really make some heads explode!:saw:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS