Lowe's Reneged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Unsure of post placement...

Went to Lowe's to buy the Bosch Electric Hand Planer ($159.00). Tried to use a HF 20% Discount Coupon, but they refused.

A few days ago, talked to the lumber help desk asking if they'd accept it againt the Dewalt 735 Benchtop Planer. The woman said yes, but phoned someone (the manager?) to confirm. Sure enough, she said they would honor it! Well, although I wasn't ready to buy the DW735, I did want the Bosch! Arrrggggg...

Oh well, too bad Lowe's.... I just ordered the Bosch from CPO Reconditioned Tools for $69.99 + $6.99 shipping and will ship out Monday.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have never found either Lowes, or HD to go more than 10% off, no matter what coupon. It's they corp. policy according to people I know who work there.

manfre

New User
Manfre
The response varies from store to store and manager to manager. I've had some say they'd take it, others say they could do 10% and others say no. I think the lesson to learn from this is if they say they'll take it for something, buy on the spot.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I've always felt that trying to use the HF coupon was kind of a stretch. HF doesn't usually carry the item that you're trying to get discounted, do they?

bobby g

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am with Bobby. Price match is generally matching the advertised price on the same item. Just bringing in a 20% coupon from another store and expecting 20% off their price is not the same thing. What was the price at HF? Is the same item actually available and does the coupon apply to it?

manfre

New User
Manfre
I am with Bobby. Price match is generally matching the advertised price on the same item. Just bringing in a 20% coupon from another store and expecting 20% off their price is not the same thing. What was the price at HF? Is the same item actually available and does the coupon apply to it?

HF has coupons for 20% off any single non-sale item. HF is technically a competitor for HD and Lowes, both of which will accept coupons from competitors.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
It can be interpreted either way. I can't believe they don't state this more clearly.
http://www.lowes.com/cd_Everyday+Low+Prices_787241445_
We guarantee our everyday competitive prices. If you find a lower everyday price on an identical item at a local retail competitor, just bring us the competitor's current ad and we'll beat their price by 10%. If a competitor is offering a percent off discount, we'll reduce our current price by the same percentage discount that the competitor is offering.

I can read that to say that if they advertise the Dewalt for $120, then Lowes would sell it at $108. If they advertise that they are selling that Dewalt at 20% off, then Lowes would give you 20% off. But if you have a coupon that says 20% off an in store item that isn't on sale, how do they know this applies to the Dewalt?

Sherwin Williams is a competitor of Lowes. If I have a 20% off any item coupon from Sherwin Williams, should I expect to be able to use it on a lawn tractor at Lowes?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm with Michael (and Lowe's) on this one. If you want to use the HF 20% and expect Lowe's to honor it, why not just go to the Sunday paper & get a Michael's ad? They frequently have 30% off one item coupons, but what do they carry that is to be considered an identical item, and are they considered a competitor as stated in the Lowe's policy? Lowe's policy is quite explicit on this point for a reason & if I were a Store Manager I wouldn't honor the HF coupon either.
Although I have opinions about tools sold in both stores, I don't consider them to be competitors. I go to one store for some things and the other for others, but I certainly don't compare many of their products (okay, air hoses & couplings, maybe) and except for chewing gum I doubt you'd find the same brand products in both stores.

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
This must be more of a store to store thing. I bought a drill press from HD a while back. I'd been reading a similar thread here and just happened to have an HF flyer so I took the coupon. I "asked" the person in the store, they called "someone", and took it. I was going to buy it in either case and they knew it but gave me the discount anyway. Their comment ran something along the line of they wanted to "make a friend" of a customer.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I can see why they would resist giving you this 20% blanket discount on the item esp. since it is not from another home center type store.
After working for a woodworking store I can tell you that power tools are on slim margins. There's probably not a 20% mark-up on the item. Most stores mark up power tools and machines only 10-15%. Lowes is very competitive so either they have a low margin or have worked out volume deals with the manufactures. That's why you rarely see a sale with more than a 10% discount on power tools. The rare occasion that they are more usually involves manufacturer incentives. Store's make their money on the add-ons, accessories, and hand tools.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I never tried a HF cpoupon at other stores,hmmmm gotta keep that in mind,i do use the ols VA card an always get 10% off at any of em including woodcraft. Adds up :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors