Lose Mandrel??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Ok folks gota question for ya. I've been able to turn a pen&pencil set so far. But I've got a problem.The mandrel shaft keeps comeing lose.I snug down the nut on the end.But it works out of the headstock adaptor:dontknow:.I was wondering if it would hurt to put some RTV gasket mat. inside the adapter to keep the shaft from backing out?

Thanks in advance,
Robert

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What kind of tail center are you using? If it's not a live center (spins freely on ball bearings) then the friction could be causing the mandrel shaft to unscrew. My only hesitation to using any sort of thread locking agent would be the removal of the mandrel shaft later.

Folks I believe that Robert is using this style mandrel as he doesn't have a MT on his lathe

PKM-BL.jpg

If that is true and the shaft is unscrewing from the larger female threaded portion, then I see no reason not to use a thread locker. If you ever need to replace the mandrel shaft, you might as well just get a new one.

Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Unless you have LH threads, everything should tighten up when the lathe is turning. Do you have that camera working yet? If so, take some pics of your set up so we can try to help out.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Dave you are right on the mandrel:icon_thum.The tail stock doe's spin mabe not free enough:icon_scra. It's not the MT type though:nah:. The RTV that I was talking about is more rubber than thread locking. If needed you can still remove it. I'll check out the tail shaft to see if I can free it up:BangHead:.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Unless you have LH threads, everything should tighten up when the lathe is turning. Do you have that camera working yet? If so, take some pics of your set up so we can try to help out.

Sorry I missed your post ED.WE must have been "talking" at the same time. I've got to charge the batt. in the camera.I'll take pix when there charged.I did check the tailstock and it is the mt type:eek:.I'm going to clean it inside&out. It doe's have standard threads "right hand". It kinda feels like the bearing is sticking:icon_scra.Just haven't had time to do things right.I'll try to post pix of the pen&pencil set too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors