Loose drive drum in portable belt sander fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm back, with yet another question.....

I'm attempting to rebiuld/restore/six-million $ man my old craftsman 3x21 portable belt sander.

All parts are off, accept for the drive drum in the back end of the sander.

As best as I can tell, its a gear press fit on a shaft that has the drum press fit on the other end.

The drum is very very sloppy, flops around.

I am stuck, literally, on how to remove this drum/gear assembly.

Due to the small housings, I cannot get a gear puller in there. At least none of the 3 jaw type I've played with.

There is an outside chance its threaded on, as the drive gear on the motor arbor turned out to be.

So, questions are:
1. How can I lock in place a gear so I can try to unscrew the arbor? (without destroying the gear :)

2. How can I pull the gear off the arbor without easy access?

Yes, I know I _should_ throw this pile of scrap out with tuesdays garbage collection.

I'm just funny this way.....

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
MIke,

Sadly, Craftsman has disavowed any knowledge they ever made this sander and OWWM doesn't seem to cover portable hand held tools.

Thanks,
Jim

RayH

New User
Ray
Jim,

I have an about 20-30 year old Craftsman 3 x 21" belt sander complete with parts list and diagram. It is a model #315-11720. If this sounds like yours I can scan and e-mail you one or both. Let me know.

Ray

RayH

New User
Ray
Jim,

I have an about 20-30 year old Craftsman 3 x 21" belt sander complete with parts list and diagram. It is a model #315-11720. If this sounds like yours I can scan and e-mail you one or both. Let me know.

Ray

Oh, yes. Here's what it looks like.

Attachments

• sander.jpg
    sander.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 206

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Wow, Ray, that looks really close. Mine has a straight handle, but otherwise looks identical.

If its not too much trouble I'd really appreciate a copy of that diagram.

Or, if you can tell if the drum/gear is a screwed onto the shaft. Thats the kicker for me.

There is a drive gear on the motor arbor that looked press fit but turned out to be threaded.

thanks!

Jim

RayH

New User
Ray
Jim,

It looks like the drive drum shaft has 2 snap rings on it. Here are the two sheets. Hope they help.

Ray

Attachments

• sander list 2.jpg
    sander list 2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 296
  • sander diag 2.jpg
    sander diag 2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 437

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Well, Ray, you gave me the confidence to go with whole hog destruction.

In the end, my gear and drum was press fit.

With no known way to pull it off, I cut the gear and split it off the shaft. (Part #35 in your parts list).

I'm not sure how or were I'll find a replacement gear, but here was the interesting discovery.

The bronze bushing on the drive drum side of the body was so badly worn that it was an oval shape! That explained the massive flopping around, wobbling and total lack of sanding belt tracking.

In hindsight, I'd have taken it to a machine shop.

Next step, find a new gear and spindle (I kind of abused that too).

I'll see if I can come up with something easier to service, something less press fit.

Thanks!
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS