Looking to start a local wood turning group

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would like to start a local study/work/social group to further the enjoyment of turning wood items.

Open to any suggestions or ideas.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I am a member of PTWA and served as VP of the group several years ago. Meetings are the 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Leonard Recreation Center in Greensboro. There are about 100 members, membership dues are minimal and many local and regional turners provide demonstrations. The club is well funded and has very nice equipment and has been in place for about 20 years. Visitors and new members are welcome. It is a great group and an excellent place to learn.
Mike, your skills and expertise would be a great addition as all of us could learn from you. It would be great to meet you in person as opposed to this site.
The same goes for any others interested. Many of our members are more mature and have difficulties attending meetings and driving at night. The size of the onsite meetings have gone from about 75 to about 40 post Covid and it would be great to have new members to keep the group going. I rarely turn anymore but still learn something in every meeting that I can use for projects that align with my interests.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Invite Mike to do a spoon making demo. That would likely be a well attended demo.
(sticking my nose in where it doesn't really belong)
I've held a few offices in our woodturning club over the last 30 years and have seen many demonstrators. Mike would be a good one.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yeah, I don’t really do big groups well. I was hoping to meet a few Stokes County folks to get together now and then. Big groups are too formal and I would rather not be pressured into a presentation, especially if it was recorded.

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
We used to go to Piedmont in Hickory once a month but that's a bit of a drive.

I'd love something south of I85 and I love Mike's idea of an informal meetup kinda thing.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors