Looking to move up and asking for recommendations on a good full size lathe under $1k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
I was tossed up between putting this thread here or the tools forum. Figured I'd start here since I'm looking for opinions specifically from other turners :)

I want to move up from my 1014 so I'm looking for a sub $1k full sized lathe. I don't have 220 in the shop, so has to run 110. Would prefer something with a large range which seems to exclude many of the reeves drive units. Ideally I would like to go down sub 400 for bigger turnings and up around 3k for pens and small spindle items.

1x8tpi would be preferred so I can use my existing chucks but if an adapter is available then that is acceptable as well. So basically no really oddball sized threads.

Good travel on the tail stock since I do drilling on there as well

Indexing would be nice but not entirely necessary

I'm sure I've missed a few things, but those are the highlights of what I'm after.

I thought initially the Nova 1624 would be a good fit but I've read so many mixed reviews that I'm sort of nervous about that unit. Same with the Grizzly line and the Grizzly has a very limited range with the reeves drive it uses.

If anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Do you plan on selling your current lathe? If you have the space, you could keep your current lathe for smaller turnings and buy a second one meant more for platters and bowls.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
Definitely keeping the current lathe. My wife and I actually are tripping over each other trying to use the one we have. The big one will be primarily for me. The small one will be primarily hers as well as a finishing/buffing station.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
You could keep looking on Craigslist for a lathe. You see an older Delta on occasion. Put out a Wanted to Buy on the Classifieds. Talk to people in a turning club. Turners are alway looking to move up to a bigger lathe. Don't be afraid of 3-phase. You can buy a VFD which will let you get the low speeds you are after. Be patient.

Roy G

jtdums

New User
Jim
If you are willing to go used, there are Jet 1442vs available for sub 1k. (In fact there is one in the classified section here right now. No affiliation by me.)
The 1442 is very versatile. It will use your current chucks. We use them in a classroom setting with high school students so they are durable. No problems with the drives, although they do need a belt every few years. (not too hard to change)
IMHO Jet makes a solid proven product and your criteria seem to match it perfectly.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
I've had the Nova 1644 for awhile and had good luck with it. I did add the 24" extension for making chairs and still no issues. Most folks seem to prefer the variable speed version as opposed to the stepped pulley (insert higher price here). I'm still learning and have signed up for the NCSTATE bowl turning class. However, so far I am not up to its' potential. All said, buy any in your price range and get to it. Just know that accessories and tool envy will rapidly increase the cost. Good luck!!!!

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I've had the 1624 for about four yrs now and its been a great lathe overall,its not a oneway or PM,but then it doesn't cost over 3000,00 bucks

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
I'm really torn between the nova and the jet. I'll just have to keep an eye on the used market to see what comes up. I don't quite have the funds for the one in the classifieds currently, but it is in my budget for when I'm ready to purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS