Status
Not open for further replies.

zswilborn

New User
Zack
Hi,

My name is Zack, I'm 18 years old, I'm a future Marine and I LOVE woodworking. I'd always been around simple things, like building chicken coops or even building (very crude) shelves in my closet. It wasn't until a few months ago that I really fell in love with it.

As of now, I'm trying to find experienced woodworkers that are willing to teach me a few new tricks. I love going into other people's shops just to see new equipment, tools, jigs, etc.. I love to learn and that's what my quest is in these last few months before I leave for the USMC boot camp. Today for instance, I went by a man's shop who builds cabinets, mantels, bookshelves, etc etc.. I loved it, I learned several new things and actually walked away with some beautiful wood that he was actually going to throw away!

I'm very familiar with tools and I know my way around safety as well. Yesterday, I built a router table and a router faceplate jig that saved me from spending $60 on a 6" holesaw. I just bought a radial arm saw and several other things. I'm halfway through building a 10' by 10' building that will be my workshop. Even though I'm aquiring the tools that I need, I would love even more to expand my knowledge.

This is a list of things that I would love to learn to make:
Cabinets
Corner China Hutch (for my mother)
Boxes with dovetail joints or something similar
etc etc

If you live close to Burlington and want to teach or help mefabricate any of these things, then please email me through this website. I'm out searching for knowledge, unfortuanately, they don't make a section in the phonebook titled "Experienced Woodworkers".

Thank you for reading!
Zack

b4man

New User
Barbara
Hey there Zack,
You have come to the right place:eusa_danc The only thing we love more than sharing experiences is sharing pics! ( besides free wood:icon_cheers)

There are several members in your area and we try and have lunch once a month at the Moose Cafe over at the Triad Farmers Market here in Greensboro. We would love to have you join us. It usually is the 3rd Thursday of the month.

Enjoy the site, ask all the questions you can think of and be on the look out for the announcement of our Shop Crawl being organized now that will include shops in Alamance County.

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to our sawdust pile! I love your enthusiasm and am sure we have members close to you to help show you "the ropes". It's always nice to not have to re-invent the wheel.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Zack. I'm not that far from you down in Liberty. As Barbara said, there are a couple of opportunities coming up for you to meet some other local woodworkers. First is our monthly lunch group at The Moose Cafe in Greensboro. This month it will be on the 18th at 11:30. Keep watching this forum for more information, or feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

The other thing Barbara mentioned is a Shop Crawl on Oct. 15. For more information on that, go to the top of this page to the "Upcoming Events" section and look at #6: Triad Shop Crawl. You'll get all the details. There will be five shops to visit in one day, including The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville.

When do you leave for boot camp? In the meantime, there are two great ways to learn more about woodworking from this site: first, post any questions you have and you'll get lots of help from some very knowledgeable folks. Second, read the post by others to see what questions they have, and the advice they receive. I'm constantly amazed at the things I learn from the people on this site, and I've been doing this for over 40 years.

Look forward to meeting you. :eusa_danc

Bill

zswilborn

New User
Zack
Hi Barbara,

Thank you for the welcome! I can do my best to be at the lunch in Greensboro, but I may not be able to. I just got an email from someone wanting to buy one of my products and I hope it comes through. If it does, I'll try to save some money for gas to be able to get there. I do my best to work with wood for free, but its quite hard to find good free wood with me not having a planer. I have a bunch of walnut slabs cut at LEAST 50 years ago and have been sitting in a barn ever since. I was thinking about building a woodworkers bench out of two of the pieces and possibly trade the rest to someone for something that I may be able to use. Would the site allow me to put that into the classifieds as a trade?

Thanks again!
Zack

zswilborn

New User
Zack
Hi Bill,

Thank you for advice! I'll try to find time to read through other posts to learn some. I might have to go build another set of cornhole boards if this one sells. It's difficult to build them without my shop being complete! I have 3 walls up though!!! I'd like to go to the lunch in Greensboro, but as you see in my post to Barbara, gas is my downfall. I was thinking, if I manage to sell a few things that I've made, would it be possible for me to come to meet you at your place for the lunch and ride down together? If that would be alright, I would love to see your shop and if you're willing, I'd love to learn something new from an experieced person while I was there! It could be anything! It could be your favorite thing to build or the thing you enjoy building the most! I just want to learn, every day I wish that gasand wood were free and I could visit everyone's shops and fill myself with knowledge. Let me know if that's possible.

I leave for boot camp March 12th 2012. This is my date UNLESS someone does something wrong and drops out or is discharged. In that case, I will take their ship date for boot camp. For instance, my friend was supposed to leavein three months with his original date. He's at boot camp right now.

Thanks for all of your help!

Zack

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Howdy there and welcome to the group.As far as chicken coups,there has been a nice one built by a member here that even had cameras.There is loads of info around here abouts for the looking.
Tony

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Hi Bill,

Thank you for advice! I'll try to find time to read through other posts to learn some. I might have to go build another set of cornhole boards if this one sells. It's difficult to build them without my shop being complete! I have 3 walls up though!!! I'd like to go to the lunch in Greensboro, but as you see in my post to Barbara, gas is my downfall. I was thinking, if I manage to sell a few things that I've made, would it be possible for me to come to meet you at your place for the lunch and ride down together? If that would be alright, I would love to see your shop and if you're willing, I'd love to learn something new from an experieced person while I was there! It could be anything! It could be your favorite thing to build or the thing you enjoy building the most! I just want to learn, every day I wish that gasand wood were free and I could visit everyone's shops and fill myself with knowledge. Let me know if that's possible.

I leave for boot camp March 12th 2012. This is my date UNLESS someone does something wrong and drops out or is discharged. In that case, I will take their ship date for boot camp. For instance, my friend was supposed to leavein three months with his original date. He's at boot camp right now.

Thanks for all of your help!

Zack

I sent you a PM w/ my address and I'm looking forward to having you ride w/ me on the 18th. Regarding the walnut slabs you have, if you have a digital camera, can you post a few pics of them. Also some dimensions. I think you may be able to work out some trades on here. What type of wood would you rather have?

Bill

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I appreciate your enthusiasm for woodworking and I am grateful for your willingness to serve our country through military service. :eusa_clap My son is a Captain in the USMC and is currently serving as a series commander at Parris Island. With respect to boot camp, based on my conversations with my son, make it one of your top priorities to arrive in camp in GREAT physical condition. The entire experience is not for the faint of heart, and not all recruits will ultimately become marines; but the task is especially challenging for those who are not prepared physically. You will be mentally and emotionally challenged as well, but I am not sure how one prepares for those challenges.

Best wishes!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome Zach! Paris Island is much nicer in March than August. I did basic at Ft. Jackson in July-August. Not fun.

zswilborn

New User
Zack
Thank your son for me and thank you for being one of the many parents who go through their own challenges being the proud parents of a Unites States Marine. Thank you for the advice, I do my best to be in good physical condition. I've played sports all of my life and I've been through some very harsh physical challenges. I never quit, I blacked out on the field at a lacrosse game in Wilmington because I wouldn't stop. The other team was close on or tails and I was the "Shut out" defender (the one tasked with shutting down their top scorer). I've got a lot of drive, I will inevitably achieve what I set my heart on. The mental and emotional part of it is what will be most challenging for me, but as many Marines have, I'll overcome it.

Thanks again and my best to you and your son,
Zack

RedTweeder00

New User
Robby
Zack,

Congratulations on two things....
1.) showing an interest to learn and driving to become as proficient as possible when it comes to woodworking!! I will help out as best as I can!!

2.) Taking the initiative to challenge yourself in a way that most people will never experience. I spent 5 years in the Marines and I wouldn't trade any experience I had with them for all the money on earth. Remember one thing, when you stand on those yellow footprints, honor yourself and all those who stood there before you.

If I can be of assistance in woodworking or preparing for the Marines let me know.

zswilborn

New User
Zack
Thank you sir. And thank you for your time in the Corps. I can't wait for that honor, I want to live and breathe it until the day I die. I'll keep in mind that you're here if I have any questions for a Marine. Once a Marine, always a Marine. Thanks again.

zswilborn

New User
Zack
Hey Bill,

I just wanted to let you know that the photos of the Walnut slabs have been uploaded and are ready to be viewed. I think they're in "member galleries", they should be under my user name: zswilborn.

Thanks,
Zack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS