Looking meat department grade countertop material..smaller pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truefire

New User
Chris
I am looking for the meat department, food grade type countertop material. Not sure what this material is or where i could possibly find a couple of pieces for a project. I need about 14" of it and would glue up to a thickness of about 2".

If anyone is familiar with where i might find some of this type of material, please advise.

Chris

Glennbear

Glenn
As surprising as at may sound, I think your best choice would be a laminated maple butcher block. I have seen studies where there is less bacteria growth on wood then there is on some of the synthetic cutting surfaces. You also have the advantage of wood being somewhat self healing from knife cuts depending on grain orientation. :wsmile:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Doesn't sound like Chris is looking to use this for meat cutting, so I'd say if you can find some UHMW it may fulfill your needs-depending on exactly what it is that you want to do with it. I'd check some plastic sheet suppliers to see if they have any shorts or cutoffs that you could get. They also could advise you as to the best material for your usage.

Maybe you could find a large poly cutting board to cut up? :dontknow:

MTCW, YMMV

donbake1

New User
Don
My father-in-law was a meat cutter most of his career and the old chopping blocks were end grain hard maple. This was a block about 30" x 30" x 30" with short legs. He would scrub it with hot water, wire brush it, bleach it once a week and put straight mineral oil on it to preserve the wood. Practically indestructible.

If you need 8/4 hard maple or an end grain cutting board, we can help with either the lumber or the finished product in any size you need.

Don Baker
Anchor Hardwoods
Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS