Looking for Woodcrafters around Edenton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am a newcommer to this site/club. I have retired and moved to Edenton from Scottsdale, AZ just before Isabel hit us. In AZ I had a company that made furniture and decorative acessories that I designed for the SW markets. Having been an architect and designer all my life I now can persue the creation of items that I like, which means of wood. I perticularly like to use very figured and exotic wood. Right now I have a good source of spalted oak, thanks to Isabel.
My big projects now is the production of a wood show in Edenton at the CAC Gallery. You can see more info on it in a posting here.
My other project is to form a woodcrafters association in Edenton. I am looking for artiasins who live in the area around Edenton who can get together on a bi-weekly basis to share ideas, experance,sources,tools etc. If you are,or know someone who is give me a call @252-482-8319
Al Gustave

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Al,
Striking design and wood combos on the boxes. :icon_thum
Thanks for joining us and good luck on your woodcrafters association quest.

Have you "acclimatized" to NC yet? The arrid southwest is dramatically different from the surrounding waters and humidity of Edenton 8-O

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, Al. I didn't realize that you had upload such incredible photos of your boxes. I am in awe, they are beautiful, I though I did alright in the box dept. but now I am doubtful :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
I wish that I was closer to Edenton, I would really like to attend the show...maybe a day trip with the family :dontknow:
Dave:)

Dave, thanks for looking at my work. I am just getting aquainted with the various groups and resources in NC. Where I lived in AZ we were in the center of all the sources. Being out here everthing I need is in the center of NC. I do go to Norfolk quite a bit. I am going to go on a wood buying trip this spring to the Reliegh area and evirons.I do like the slower pace in Edenton. I moved out here to get away from the traffic and bustle of bigger cityies. I am looking forward to getting together with other wood people. Regards, Al

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Al, I lived in Edenton for 12 years and I sure hated to leave but I'm now only 35 mi away in Ahoskie. My work (highway const.) brings me back quite often and I also have many old sailing buddies there. I hope to see you and your work sometime. If you can get through 8-10 weeks of humid hot weather you'll find no better place to live. My shop has a window unit AC and I still give up in the summer as I am originaly from the foot hills of NC. Good luck and enjoy.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Very impressive boxes Al----------welcome to the site.

You may be interested in Albemarle Craftsman's Guild, if you are not aware of their existence. It is based in Elizabeth City and a really good group of craftsmen. There are some members living in Edenton.

The guild has an annual show the last weekend of October. It is a juried guild so be assured the work and displays are professional.

If you want more information PM me, I will be happy to provide what I can.:)

Jerry

Jerry, I am a member of the Alb guild and have shown at the last show in October. It is a good group. I am interested in woodcrafters only. I am not wanting to compete with the ACGuild. My goal is to get together those woodcrafters in my area and to meet and share on a bi-weekly basis. Most of the guys in my area are retired and do woodcrafting on a daily basis, I know I do. If you get this way drop by or call me, I would love to see you. Send some pictures of your work. Regards, Al :-D

Roger, Yes I have ajusted to the area, I love it here. The thing I like best is the changes in the weather. In Az you get soo many days in the summer that are over 100 and the nights do not cool down. At least here we get lots of rain. The rain makes trees and trees give us wood. What fun. Have a great day. Drop by when you are in Edenton. Al

Pokey

New User
Jerry
Al
I live in Windsor. When is your first meeting? I am not as good as you appear to be by your pictures and I am not retired, but I do enjoy woodwork.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Al--------I too am a member but I do not remember meeting you. I did the show last in 2005. Let it rest this year, oops(2006).

Check out my photo albums for a view of some of my work.

Jerry:)

Jerry, thanks for your intrest. I am getting a place lined up for our first meeting. Should be in 2 weeks or so. Give me your phone number and address and I will get back to you. Have a good one, Al

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Jerry, thanks for your intrest. I am getting a place lined up for our first meeting. Should be in 2 weeks or so. Give me your phone number and address and I will get back to you. Have a good one, Al

Al---I think you meant to respond to someone else, I live in Salisbury and not likely to drive 300 miles(one way) twice a month for meetings.:rolf: .

OOPS -----the joke is on me ---------just noticed that you did reply to the right post. Just call me dummy:slap: :BangHead:

You have a good idea there, hope it gets going!!

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS