Looking for Lexan scraps

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I need a long thin piece of Lexan (not acrylic, I'll be bending it to an approx 20" dia.), 8"x64"ish for a project I'll be working on shortly.

The box has full sheets that will give me the 64"ish +, but that leaves me a lot of waste that I cant foresee a need for in the near future. Those full sheets aren't cheap either.

If anyone has scraps they would like to sell, or directions on where I may find some, I would be most grateful.

Thanks!

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey Steve,

Yeah, I found those guys on the internet, and their prices are great for cut-to-fit plastic.......unfortunately the shipping quote to Raleigh was $250! Yikes!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Go by your local Lowes and ask guy cutting keys if they have any scraps. Customers seldom take cut offs with them. Yes they carry polycarbonate, in addition to acrylic. If you are building a Thien "Top Hat" ( I coined that term originally) why not use a piece of Formica instead?

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Go by your local Lowes and ask guy cutting keys if they have any scraps. Customers seldom take cut offs with them. Yes they carry polycarbonate, in addition to acrylic. If you are building a Thien "Top Hat" ( I coined that term originally) why not use a piece of Formica instead?

You nailed it! Formica will definitely work, I was just going for the "cool" factor. Laminate is still on the table though. Did you build a "top-hat" yourself? How did it work out? My shop is small, and w/ the central DC location I have cleared out, my longest run will be approx. 10'. A bit small to justify the expense of a full-blown cyclone. I'll be stepping up to 6" ducts, (stovepipe), and ports, and w/ upgraded filters on a well built separator on a 2HP Jet, I'm hoping to be covered.

rob said:
How much for a sheet at the Borg, might go parts with you.

What's up buddy! I'd be happy to split a sheet w/ you, but depending on what you need, I have lots of smaller scraps of both Lexan and acrylic that you are welcome to for free.

Thanks folks!

Rob

New User
Rob
What's up buddy! I'd be happy to split a sheet w/ you, but depending on what you need, I have lots of smaller scraps of both Lexan and acrylic that you are welcome to for free.

If this is for the "top hat" for the table saw, I was thinking about building one also, kill two birds with one stone and build two?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You nailed it! Formica will definitely work, I was just going for the "cool" factor. Laminate is still on the table though. Did you build a "top-hat" yourself? How did it work out?

Thanks folks!
As a matter of fact, I coined the phrase "Top Hat" as that's what mine looked like. It's here at NC Woodworker, along with pictures of the results. Google "Another Vote for Phil Thien's Baffle" and will get you to post.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
One of my upcoming projects is a top hat type separator as well. I didn't realize thats where you were headed.

Do you have a link to the version you are going to build? This is what I was going to follow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P4ORN_iUTs but after googling for top hat thien separator I found some other nice plans.

Depending on how you go, I would be interested in going in on some material buys too.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey Steve,

The link you posted is one of my "many" inspirations. Here is another:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7xZtoRwruk&feature=related

The overall plan will be beefed up to utilize a 6" inlet/outlet. With the side outlet on the separator, that's one more bend in the ducting that can be avoided.

My plan for the lexan is to replace the kerfed, bent, and ultimately skinned plywood form. Lexan is easily enough bent to a 20"(ish) radius, and will make for much cleaner construction/ assembly. Plus there is the added bonus being see-through! I will also be constructing the assembly so that my DC blower is mounted directly above the separator, keeping the overall footprint the same as a typical 1-stage DC.

I could always scab together a few pieces to create the total circumference, but it will be much smoother, (and therefore efficient), to have the radius formed from a single piece. A full sheet, (4'-6'ish?) is around $100 at the Depot - not the end of the world, but will produce a good bit of leftover that I don't see myself needing in the foreseeable future. I'd be happy to split a sheet w/ you guys if you'd like.

I'm not kidding myself that a do-it-yourself separator, even a well built one, will be as efficient as a high-end cyclone system, but in stereo w/ an upgraded filter, 6" ductwork, and the short-straight plumbed runs that I have in mind, it will be a huge improvement over what I have now, for a modest investment of cash, time, and space, (the trifecta!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors