Looking for hand drills

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhoward

New User
Jim
Being the resident woodworker at my church, I've been tasked to find something that youngsters can use to drill holes in some projects this summer. I know we can't find ancient tools but I'd like to find something suitable. Somehow I can't use picture carpenters 2000 years ago using cordless drills! Also, I'll need at least 3 or 4 tools so cost is a factor.

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would make some primitive brace and bit style drills. You can make a pattern and cut them on a band saw. If you want to be fancy you could turn the three crank parts. The bit can be fixed and as simple as a nail flattened and sharpened.

I guess it depends on how authentic you want to be and how much time you have. It would help to know what the kids will be drilling and their age range.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
2000 years ago, all tools were cordless. Same goes for 150 years ago. As a child I remember a family friend having a drill that was a "bow drill." You held the center shaft,which was supported by some kind of bearing at the top, and had a "fish tail bit" attached to the other end. A bow with a heavy string was wrapped around the shaft. You did the bow just like playing a violin. Spoon bits appeared before ship's augers. Windsor Chair makers still use them. Google old hand drills, and find "Low Tech. Magazines" reference. There you will find some ideas.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're just looking for some old bit braces, I have some. I bought a lot of 10 on Ebay just to get the one 14" and one 12" brace in the lot. So I have several 10" braces that I don't really need. There should be at least 3 or 4 that are in good enough working condition if that's what you're looking for. I would let them go for just a tad over what the shipping would cost or if you'll be in the Cary / Raleigh area we could work something out.

You may be looking for something even lower tech than these though. Send me a PM if interested.

jhoward

New User
Jim
2000 years ago, all tools were cordless. Same goes for 150 years ago. As a child I remember a family friend having a drill that was a "bow drill." You held the center shaft,which was supported by some kind of bearing at the top, and had a "fish tail bit" attached to the other end. A bow with a heavy string was wrapped around the shaft. You did the bow just like playing a violin. Spoon bits appeared before ship's augers. Windsor Chair makers still use them. Google old hand drills, and find "Low Tech. Magazines" reference. There you will find some ideas.

I've researched some and found that brace & bit drills date to the 1400's. Egyptians are credited with bow drills so that seems to fit the timeline. Funny thing is that bow drills are actually corded drills! :)

I think I can create simple bow drills out of wood.

T8uA7gyRM+Us2hYtA3o0Ss6Ud9FoGdCpgXKmPIpGy4B+jZUz5SwaLQO6NlzO1EHRaBnQuxFzpjZFo2WAAIPmTH0vGi0DBBjiMFqH22307wAgBh9mAEKMu7EJQBhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZACHIGQAhyBkAIcgZAiP8HkiHg2B2t4BMAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
T handle augers can also be made quite easily and are period correct. Drive a nail (drill a slightly undersized hole first to avoid splitting) through the middle of the handle. If it doesn't bother you to do so, smearing a little epoxy on the last 1/2" of the nail right before you sink it in will make it less prone to loosening. Flatten the end of the nail. Done. You don't have to go round and round - back and forth works.

jhoward

New User
Jim
T handle augers can also be made quite easily and are period correct. Drive a nail (drill a slightly undersized hole first to avoid splitting) through the middle of the handle. If it doesn't bother you to do so, smearing a little epoxy on the last 1/2" of the nail right before you sink it in will make it less prone to loosening. Flatten the end of the nail. Done. You don't have to go round and round - back and forth works.

Hummm. This idea sounds easier to implement and safer for youngsters to operate. Thanks to those who replied to my first ever post here. I'm really impressed with this website!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS