Looking for clear white walnut, 8/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Morning all,

Looking for approx. 50 bd-ft of 8/4 (6/4 would do) and possibly 100 bd-ft of 4/4, rough sawn would be great.

Thanks,

Tony ...

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
White Walnut is also known as Butternut.

Other woods from the walnut family that could be substituted for white walnut would be Hickory and Pecan.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Morning all,

Looking for approx. 50 bd-ft of 8/4 (6/4 would do) and possibly 100 bd-ft of 4/4, rough sawn would be great.

Thanks,

Tony ...

The last 8/4 buttenut I bought was from a company in Vermont. I also have boutht from Badger Hardwoods out of Wisconsin. Brace yourself for pricing. Some of the last FAS 8/4 butternut was over 9.00 bf.

4/4 buttenut is much easier to find-------I think Steve Wall (in Mayodan)
carries it most of the time.

Good luck on the search.

Jerry

J

jeff...

Tony if you can't find it let me know - I'll put out an APB and see if I can hook you up with someone who has it. It's native to the north east and north central, it generally grows alone or in small groups, needs a bit colder climate to survive than around here. so chances of find trees local around here are pretty much impossible. Although you may be able to find some in the high elevations in the NC moutains. One thing to note - expect to pay some big bucks for clear butternut - it's intolerant of shade so it's going to have lots of branches.

You ready to take out a bank loan :lol:?

Thanks

tonyps

New User
Tony
Folks, apologies for the "white walnut" request. I am just looking for some good quality walnut, as consistent in color as possible. I must confess that I have never used "butternut" and was not aware it is a hardwood...??
I have been given a request for about a dozen good sized cutting boards (18Lx12wx1 1/4t). I want to use at least two different hardwoods of contrasting colors. I have access to a fair amount of cherry, black walnut, red/white oak. Pecan/hickory would also be great alternatives.
The other project on my plate is a few sofa tables that will require fairly clear wood...
Tony ...

saw4you

New User
Jack
I have about 1000 b/f of walnut, still in the log, I will saw you anything need just let me know, and plenty of oak.

Thanks Jack

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
Tony,
If you've not used Butternut before, I would recommend against using it in any cutting boards.

While listed as a hardwood, the Butternut I've worked with has all been somewhere between white pine and poplar for hardness - not anywhere near Walnut, Pecan or Hickory.

Good luck with the cutting boards.
Jim

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
I have been given a request for about a dozen good sized cutting boards (18Lx12wx1 1/4t). I want to use at least two different hardwoods of contrasting colors. I have access to a fair amount of cherry, black walnut, red/white oak. Pecan/hickory would also be great alternatives.

Some soft maple, with a hint of curl to it would look fantastic with the black walnut.
Then again Sycamore would be an even better choice for a contrast to the black walnut. You could try checking with Jeff... to see if he still has any green Sycamore left. It would need to be dried, but would be well worth the time and trouble.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS