Looking for 1/3 hp motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I am looking for an inexpensive 1/3 hp motor, 1/2 or 5/8" shaft, with about 1725 RPM to use with a buffing wheel. Does anyone now of a decent source for a motor like this? I see HF has on that might fit the bill. The motor will not see any heavy use and will only be used occasionally.

TIA,
D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would go with the HF motor. If it isn't gonna see any harder use than a buffing wheel, the HF will last you quite a while. You can't be a HF price. My .02, Dave:)

Last edited:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
DL, the Tractor Supply Company store has finally opened on Raeford Rd, west of the Cliffdale intersection. I visited it this morning for the first time. They had lots of GE motors that might be appropriate for your needs.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
ok, saw lots of other great ideas in the above posts, too. I have bookmarked surpluscenter before, and had forgotten about it, thanks John!

J

jeff...

I have one, that I'll give you, think it's a 1/2 horse might even be a 3/4 horse, I'll check and let you know. I can bring it to the picnic if you want me too.

Oh BTW - you need a mounting base with it right?

4yanks

New User
Willie
DL,

I bought a cheap ($39.00) Delta 7" grinder with light at Lowes. I took the base and guards off. Then remounted the body to the base backwards so that the wheels rotated up (towards operator). I replaced the grinding wheels with sewn muslin wheels (also from lowes). It makes an excellent buffer and with 2 wheels offers course and fine buffing in one package. Hope this helps. By the way, I am living in a hotel right now. My house ran over in construction by a week and I had to get out of my other house in the meantime. I have a brand new shop full of tools and can't touch it yet:BangHead: .

Willie

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
4yanks said:
DL,

I bought a cheap ($39.00) Delta 7" grinder with light at Lowes. I took the base and guards off. Then remounted the body to the base backwards so that the wheels rotated up (towards operator). I replaced the grinding wheels with sewn muslin wheels (also from lowes). It makes an excellent buffer and with 2 wheels offers course and fine buffing in one package. Hope this helps. By the way, I am living in a hotel right now. My house ran over in construction by a week and I had to get out of my other house in the meantime. I have a brand new shop full of tools and can't touch it yet:BangHead: .

Willie

Thanks Willie, this sounds like an excellent option also.:icon_thum How soon before the new house is done? I know trying to live out of a hotel with the family must suck. My in-laws did it for a couple of months while they waited for their house to me completed.

D L

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
You may be able to get one for free. I have salvaged a number from the squirrel cage fan units removed from forced fresh air residential heating units. The club I was in would go to a HVAC and furnace contractor every fall and ask to go through his scrap lot. Generally there were a number of fan units which we would salvage for down draft sanding stations. Some units had intergral motors but many had standard 1/3 and 1/3 HP external, standard shaft motors. Just remove them, dust them off, wire them and off you go.

I gave away four or five when I was clean up before my move down to NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS