Look what was hiding in that wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I have a deep lot and it is wooded on both sides and the back. Last week I was at the very back of the lot clearing out some brush. There was a dead dogwood tree that had rotted at ground level and fallen over. It was caught in another tree so had never touched the ground. This thing had been dead for many years but was in reasonably good shape due to not laying (or is it lying) on the ground for all those years. I cut it up into smaller pieces and decided to put it on the lathe to see what might "turn" out (pun intended). I had never turned a mallet before and managed to get these two from that one piece. I thought for a beginner they turned out OK. I used BLO and then Johnson's paste wax the following day. There's a lot of this dogwood left but don't know how many mallets I need. I'll have to think of something else to turn. Any suggestions.

mallet21.jpg

mallet12.jpg

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Nice looking mallets, if you are really looking for something else to turn; you could turn it over to me:rotflm:. Just kidding, great looking mallets.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
That second picture is WAY COOL!!

Perfectly captures how a seemingly ugly piece of wood can be made into something beautiful. Well done.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Great job Stuart:icon_thum You could turn some "weed pots " out of some for TracyP - I have some DW as well and I am thinking about making some "honey Dippers" for a friend of ours that raises honey bees

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great pics.:icon_thum
How about lamp spindles?
Rolling pins?
Pepper mills?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Really nice looking mallets! The more I see BLO finishes the more I like them.

Ernie

MikeH

New User
Mike
That second picture is WAY COOL!!

Perfectly captures how a seemingly ugly piece of wood can be made into something beautiful. Well done.

I have to agree. That would be a very cool way to display one of the mallets. Try and keep as much bark and everything on the ends and display it upright. Great job!

gritz

New User
Robert
Good way to find a hidden treasure! With the number of dogwood trees killed in our area by dogwood anthrax, there are lots of these trees available. I think I will take a walk and see what I can find.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
This thing had been dead for many years but was in reasonably good shape due to not laying (or is it lying) on the ground for all those years.

Since it's a dogwood tree and not a hen dispensing eggs, it is NOT laying, it is (was?) lying on the ground.

Suggestion? Goblet. Great looking mallets, BTW.

Glennbear

Glenn
Nice work , now you have me looking at the dead trees in the rear of my property with a different eye :gar-La;

R

rickc

Very nice, Stuart! Wish you had been around when my daughter was in her teens - I would have had a commission piece for you! :gar-Bi

Bud McDevitt

New User
Bud
really Beautiful, and great work for something that was just laying around to be found and TURNED into a thing of beauty.
Great Job
Bud:thumbs_up

Bud McDevitt

New User
Bud
Tomorrow I go whole hog--Leaving First thing in the morning. My wife and I :argue: are going to Charlotte. We have some things to do.
But the Big issue with me is this:
I am going to buy my first Lathe and all the stuff I need-Turning Tools etc. I have exactly 1 weeks experience --But I have fallen for Woodturning in a big way.
I plan on a new Jet lathe with the work light.
Bud:rotflm::saw:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS