Long Distance Commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Everyone
Many of you will remember a project I posted a while back. This was a keepsake box made with an Intarsia of the different Confederate flags on the lid.
IMG_7045.JPG

What I failed to mention was the client that ordered this box lives in Switzerland.
He received the box, loved it and immediately started sending me photos and ideas for the next project. He sent several photos of different bookshelves and the plan was to incorporate a custom intarsia on the sides of the bookshelf.
After some discussion we concluded that the unit would have to be able to break down for shipping purposes and he would have to do the final assembly.
So here is the photo of the bookshelf that he wants to recreate-- Old English style( early 1900's)
Stephens bookshelf (2).jpg

And this is the Photo of the subject matter for the Intarsia. This will be done as a mirror image on each side of the uprights.
Stephens horse (2).jpg
We chose cherry for the wood and gave it the dimensions of 40" tall x 40" wide x 10" deep. he wanted to add some accent striping on the sides using a nice contrasting wood.
After re-drawing the original photo to include the areas for the Intarsia, This is what the bookshelf will look like.
IMG_7068 (2).JPG

To be continued
 

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike I can't wait to see the step by step. I am sure it will be amazing.
 

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Thanks for the comments guys
Making good progress on this project.
[FONT=Gotham SSm A, Gotham SSm B, Helvetica Neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]All of the cherry components have been cut and dry assembled. Still have to do the edge routing, final sanding and finishing on the cherry.[/FONT]
[FONT=Gotham SSm A, Gotham SSm B, Helvetica Neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I used a template and pattern bit to do the routing for the Intarsia recesses. Because I have to make it easy for the client to re-assemble the shelf, I installed alignment dowels in the ends of the shelf pieces and bottom feet. I'm using square drive screws to hold it all together. Got the pattern drawn for the Intarsia
[/FONT]IMG_7071.JPG

IMG_7073.JPG

IMG_7074.JPGIMG_7077.JPGIMG_7075.JPG

IMG_7078.JPG

Stay tuned-more to come
 

Jeff

Jeff
Corporate Member
That's going to be a unique piece that'll look excellent.

After disassembly what's the plan for your client to reassemble it? Cherry dowel plugs over the screws and flush cut, etc? Finish over those?
 

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Jeff
We decided to use Peruvian Walnut for the accent striping and oval borders so I will turn some little Peruvian Walnut buttons to use over the screw holes.
 

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Hi Jeff
We decided to use Peruvian Walnut for the accent striping and oval borders so I will turn some little Peruvian Walnut buttons to use over the screw holes.


Was going to suggest some minifix connectors for the shelves to eliminate the plugs on the ends, but you are knocking this project out!
 

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Here are a few photos of the progress on the shelf project.
All of the sanding is done and one coat of finish has been applied.
The accent inlays are in and the oval borders have been cut to fit. The left side panel shows the original photo in the oval but this will be the mirror image side so is just a representation.
The right side panel shows the intarsia template pieces which will be used to trace the different pieces for the intarsia .I decided to spend the time to make the segmented template from 1/8" hardboard to make it easier to do the mirror image pieces for the Intarsia.
I turned the little Peruvian Walnut buttons for the screw holes and did the test fit.
Time for some fun stuff!!
IMG_7087.JPG IMG_7088.JPGIMG_7089.JPG
 

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Progress on the Intarsia
Did not make much progress on the Intarsia last week as I had to to go to Maine to attend my Brother-in laws funeral. Got back Thursday and did get some cutting done.Because I am actually doing the Intarsia as a mirror image I'm cutting and fitting 2 of everything as I go. So far I have cut 65 pieces(x 2).
Got all of the background pieces in place.
Woods used- Blue pine, Poplar,Pear, Fishtail oak, Fungas Stained Holly, Lignum Vitae,Zericote.
Starting to get the depth I'm looking for.
IMG_7095.JPG
 

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear about your BIL - but as far as the shelf - WOW!

The concept to final design is great and of course your work is excellent (as usual!)
 

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Getting There
Today I worked on the little horse.Added 26 pieces from Peruvian Walnut, Mahogany, Pink Ivory, Holly , Pear and Ebony.
Total piece count is now at 91 with around 30 more for the house.
To be continued
IMG_7100.JPG
 

wdkits1

New User
Mike
One Down
Today I got the house done. Added 44 pieces from bloodwood, bubinga, holly, fungus stained holly and ebony. Before I glue everything in there are a few pieces that I need to replace (too much gap) and some more shaping and texturing on a few pieces.
Total piece count-135 from 13 woods.
IMG_7102.JPG

IMG_7103.JPG
 

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
That is absolutely amazing! Beautiful. I love the "depth" of the columns of the house.

Great stuff Mike!!!!!!


Tom
 

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Thanks guys
To Hank-I used Beetle Kill Blue Pine for the sky and the water.No stains paints or dyes were used in this project.
 

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Almost There!!!
I'm running a few days behind on the Custom Bookshelf project but should wrap it up in the next week or so. All that is left is to finish the intarsia and apply a few coats of finish,
The right upright is complete with 3 coats of wipe-on and spray poly.
Custom Intarsia.JPG
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS

Top