LN Plane gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
I just received my new LN 62 low angle plane. It really rocks! Here is a picture of it beside its redneck cousin, the Stanley 62. They may look alike, but the LN works 1000 times better.

IMAG0380.jpg

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Very nice! You will love the LN planes. I have a 60 1/2R now and a bronze #4 on the way! Expensive but really nice!

Nativespec

New User
David
I have it as well. The chipbreaker and blade make a big difference as well as the quality of construction and machined tolerances (mouth opening and flat sole). I have a Stanley #4 with the LN blade and chipbreaker, I wish I had just bought the Lie Nielson or Lee Valley.

David

JimReed2160

New User
jim
LN is far superior. Most important to me is the frog area. The Stanley #62 is built just like their block planes, just bigger. The blade sits on the ramped sole for support in the front--pretty good so far. Then it sits on the single point of the adjuster--ouch! Over 90% of the blade is not supported. LN has a machined frog for the front half of the blade and then another frog to support the back third. So about 70% of the blade is supported.

Next is the blade itself. The Stanley is 1/16" thick. The LN is 3/16" thick. Nuff said.

Stanley adjuster nib fits into one of many slots in the blade. It works, but is not very precise and most planes have lots of backlash. The LN adjuster fits into a single milled slot and has little backlash.

There are other fit and finish issues and of course the LN wins hands down. Proof, however, is in the puddin'. LN zips some of the curliest, finest shavings ever with absolutely no chatter.
IMAG0378.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS