Live Love Laugh - I decided to try it

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
If I EVER figured out how to do that, it'd take me a month to recover, not a nap! Nice work!

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Greg you have been busy. I was going to ask if you liked the FD blades but I think I know.

:gar-Bi

You did an excellant job.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Hook

New User
Gregory
Greg you have been busy. I was going to ask if you liked the FD blades but I think I know.

:gar-Bi

You did an excellant job.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thanks y'all. I'm liking the FD blades for sure. I'm still messing with the setup of the saw, though, struggling to get a true 90 degrees. :BangHead: Any leaning tower of Pisa smilies available? Maybe one more turn with the 10mm wrench.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Now I think I'm ready for a nap. :5sigh:

That looks GREAT! I'm just excited that someone used that template.

I know that cutting that took you much more time than it took me to throw that template together!

NICE WORK!

cskipper

Cathy
That looks great! :eusa_clap How thick is the wood? What FD blade did you use? How long did it take? I admire you for using Paduak - I hate cutting that wood - the orange gummy dust gets EVERYWHERE! I had hoped to finish the owl this weekend and cut this pattern, but I didn't finish the owl.

Any advice - things to watch for - places that seem weak? Again, great job!

sawduster

New User
Robert
Good job man !! :icon_thum I agree with Cathy, Padauk is some messy stuff to cut :wconfused:
......not so good on the lungs either :no:

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Yessir...I'd be ready for a nap after cutting that pattern in Padauk.
Great job, and nice looking edges.

Edit:
You know when you have something to say, and opportunity presents itself and your mind goes blank? Well mine finally cleared back up:

Gotta be careful with that Padauk, and the the blood wood, and the bubinga....they're all very brittle and it would be very easy to snap those letters apart, if you're not careful. Probably a good choice that you used a thick piece - last one I cut out was 1/4" birch plywood. I'd hate to go that thin with the hard woods

Hook

New User
Gregory
How thick is the wood? What FD blade did you use? How long did it take?

Any advice - things to watch for - places that seem weak?

3/4 thick, SR#5 blades. It took 4 blades (no breakage, just ended up with dull blades about 1 every hour), about 4 hours (give or take). Weak spots seemed to be everywhere as it appears to be a rather delicate pattern. I started with the small inside cuts first on the "e"'s. The ll's in "well" will bend if you push on them as will the h and the n on the ends. If I do it again I might try to save cutting those for last so I don't sweat over whether or not I'm about to accidentally break them.

I actually bought the padauk to try my hand at intarsia (along with some bloodwood, brazilian cherry and bubinga), but the pattern fit so perfectly on the board that I had to try it. I still have plenty of the stuff left.

Hook

New User
Gregory
Ok, I did it again in Black Walnut (A cousin asked me to make one for her after she saw the first one). Picture pending. The only catch for her is she has to drive from Roanoke, VA to pick it up.

Another one coming in Bloodwood, this one is not so easy. Note to self - maybe bloodwood isn't such a good choice for this type of cutting, save the bloodwood for intarsia.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
One would not think changing the wood makes that kind of difference but I have been there. I can't wait to see the finished pieces.

Hook

New User
Gregory
I expected the difficulty but not the level of difficulty I'm having with the bloodwood. I've actually finished the cutting, but I think I want to give the glue some time to degrade. I haven't thought to use tape prior to gluing the pattern and despite this heat and humidity the glue wants to stay stuck.

The 30 year old air dried black walnut was easier than the Padauk, much easier.

I bought some intarsia patterns from the wooden teddy bear so I'll be trying to experiment with some of the exotics with the intarsia.

Hook

New User
Gregory
Hair dryer worked but the heat seems to have caused a few splits/separation in some really thin spots. Never again with Bloodwood. I haven't scrapped it yet but it's tempting.

cskipper

Cathy
Wish I'd suggested mineral spirits first. Lots of the fine grained woods are difficult to use for detailed patterns. If they don't break they can be difficult to sand.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Greg, we are our own worst critic. I think you did a great job on it. :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors