Let's talk about Circular Saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
All my life I've used circular saws that were "right-bladed." By that I mean that from the back of the saw, the motor is on the left and the blade on the right. And for the most part I use the guide on the plate to follow the cut line until I get to the end of the cut, where I have to lean over and peer leftward to see the blade and line. Even though I primarily use the shoe guide, I still like to look at the blade attacking the work from time to time, so I'm thinking, how's about a left-bladed saw. I saw one on TV a few days ago, and it seemed to me that for a right-handed user the left-bladed saw gave a clear view of the action.

So, since I've never cut with one, can anybody who has used/tried/owned one give me the 411 on this configuration? Downside?

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I have the Porter-Cable lefty circular saw. It is quieter than other saws I've used. Cutting is easy. I used the Mitre Mate saw guide, and do not look at the cut line once I have the guide lined up. I enjoy it, as I can always pick my saw out of a crowd.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I have done quite abit of contractor work. Thus I have gone thru and acquired/bought/rented/borrowed etc. allot of different tools. One of those being circular saws.
I am right handed also, and of the type I don't trust shoes. I watch the blade I always have and don't fell comfortable not watching it.. I have several lefty's and I like them fine. You can see the blade egage the material easier than the righty's in my book.
They don't cut any different, just easier to see the blade and the worksurface.
MTCW
HTH

MAC.

Trog777

New User
Trog
I also use the PC blade left saw. Took a little getting use too since I had used blade right saws all my life, but now there's no going back. I use it pretty much solely for knocking down sheet goods with a guide. The biggest issue is the motor to guide/clamp clearance. Ended up getting one of the low self clamping guides as opposed to the homeade straight edge qwik-clamp set up I had used prior. Been the "stuff" ever since.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I've used them a few times. Pro's: you can see the blade. Con:s you can see the blade!:gar-La; it throws saw dust dirrectly in your face. also I like to use my finger as a guide on the shoe and sometimes use a pair of vise grips clamped on the shoe as a guide for repetative cuts. with the left bladed saw the user need to be left handed to use it this way. I never could get used to it!:dontknow:

rbdoby

New User
Rick
I mainly use my circular saw to cut framing and long boards to rough length. I'm right handed. I like the right side blade because the weight of the saw is supported on the board while the cutoff falls to the floor.

Have you noticed that cordless circular saws are all left side blade?

Rick Doby

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I am very clumsy with my left hand, I don't think I could get used to using a left handed saw.:dontknow:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I also have the LH Porter Cable and use it almost all the time. (with my right hand). One area where I think it excels is cutting up sheets of ply. I made my guide so that the saw sits on the guide (the edge of the guide is the cut line) and has a strip of 1/2 ply for the shoe to run against. I can rip a 16" strip the full length or width of an eight foot sheet walking alongside it , supporting the drop with my left hand while pushing the saw with my right.
It is also good for ripping an angle on the edge of a 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 (think of adjusting for the slope on a carport floor, etc). You can snap the chalk line, the board supports the saw, and you can see the cut so you can keep the blade on the line.
I think almost all worm drive saws also have the blade on the left side, also.
As I usually use my miter saw on-site to square ends or cut-to-length framing lumber, I seldom use my "right-hand" saw anymore.

Go

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've got both PC RH & LH & switch from one to the other as I feel the convenience. The sawdust issue is not that bad with either if you stay to the rear of the saw when ripping. The LH is the saw of choice if my rip drop is < 4" & I can use a rip fence (or a thumb/finger guide). The good thing about having both is when you are trying to miter stair stringer skirts you don't have to back the saw into the cut.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have been using a small (5 1/2") Skil saw (left hand blade) for a number of years. For the most part, I really like it for ripping down plywood. I made a guide similar to what Gofor referred to. If I am clamping the guide to the work, the motor doesn't bump up against the clamps and the saw is nice and light but has ample power for 3/4" plywood. One the downside. If I am ripping a strip that is less than the baseplate width (ie 1" -2"), the motor weight has a tendency to want to drop to side if I am not careful.:swoon: This and larger capacity is when I may reach for the conventional 7 1/4" circ saw.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS