Lesson Learned (some the hard way!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retiredmarine20

New User
John
After being in the Corps for 22 years I learned that if you do not write down your after action items you are doomed to repeat your mistakes. Now that the summer is over and the majority of the projects are complete.

Here goes:
  • Measure your work, mark the wood, remeasure and check, cut wood, check wood for fit, throw wood away and go get glasses and repeat all steps.
  • The amount of chemicals that it takes to clean up something is in direct proportion to the amount if it you spill on your project.
  • Was that 25 3/8 or 23 5/8? Write stuff down or you will forget it on the way to the saw.
  • The wife is always right no matter what.
  • The amount of times she asks if you know what you are doing is directly related to the difficulty of the task that you are doing and thus raises the frustration level
  • If you ask a kid to hold a tape, assume the measurement is wrong
  • Guards are there for a reason other than to get in your way. USE THEM.
  • A piece of 1”x1”x4’ maple will fly 10 feet and pierce a truck window. See 7 above.
  • Cussing will not make a board longer nor shorter.
  • A lathe is a dangerous piece of gear in the hands of a novice. Home Depot has some nice maple balusters!
  • If your wife stops working your honey do list will never be done.
  • If it looks like it will fit most likely it won’t
  • No new house is even remotely perfectly square. Buy an angle gauge
  • The $3.99 w/coupon sander from Harbor Freight is just that. A $3.99 sander!!
  • The dog will never come in to the garage until you have every flat space taken up with boards with fresh wet poly on them, then he shakes!
  • Never leave a teenager who has been on YouTube alone with a belt sander
  • In Onslow County 16” on center is just a suggestion!
There are many more but I have to go see what is wrong with the disposal!

RickC

New User
Rick
The 4th bullet point reminds of a corollary:

Would you rather be right or happy? :gar-Bi

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
John,

I sense a lot of wisdom gained by experience in that of which you speak.

I would only add:

The odds of messing up a cut is directly proportional to the number operations you have already successfully accomplished on that piece.:BangHead:

Go

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That's the way I usually learn, in the off chance I learn at all:rotflm:.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
:rolf: :rolf:

I don't have that many years into woodworking yet, but some of my lessons learned:

• The chance of a box tipping over is proportional to the number of screws in the box
  • If you need a 6' piece out of a 10' board, there's a knot right at 60 inches
  • Using chisels to open paint cans is bad. Using screwdrivers to chisel is worse.
  • The only tool that can ruin a project faster than a router is a belt sander
  • Don't apply a $50 finish with a 50 cent paint brush
  • The only thing worse than catching a chisel falling off the bench is trying to grab a band saw blade that's uncoiling
  • Glitter glue is not a recommended adhesive for fixing chairs
  • A disc sander is great for trimming nails. It's equally great for removing fingerprints
  • The only time the wife comes into the shop is when the glue is setting and you can't get the cabinet to clamp square
  • Shellac WILL clog the drain
  • Learn scroll sawing and marquetry: They're useful skills to cover mistakes.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
And I thought I had experienced all the frustrations a woodworker could ever imagine. I may have to take a back seat to John and Bas. :rotflm:

Bill

cskipper

Cathy
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm: BTW, I am kind of fond of #4 on the first list. Here are a few of my additions:

1. If you only need "just a few more minutes" to finish something or get to a stopping point - stop when that thought occurred to you. Being too tired or in a hurry will result in an error - usually ugly ones.

2. When scrolling, realize that you are going to break blades. Sometimes they just do. If you a breaking a lot of blades there is another problem.

3. Trying to push a scroll saw blade too long is truly pointless (sorry for the pun). Dull blades = frustration. Blades are relatively inexpensive - change it when the thought crosses your mind.

4. Life is too short to use dull or cheap blades. Ask CaptA about the difference in quality blades vs other (read BORG) blades.

5. Scroll counterclockwise except when cutting the outside border. Blades tend to run to the right so cutting counterclockwise usually has waste area is on the right and the "keep" section to the left of the blade.

6. There are many definitions of knowing when a blade is tight enough but not too tight. Try them all and find the one that seems to work the best.

7. All tape (scotch, painters, packing) tape is not the same. Don't tape up multiple projects and drill the pilot holes until you are sure you are going to cut it. Otherwise either the pattern will lift or the tape/pattern will become virtually permanent - or you will no longer want to cut that pattern but have already committed to it by drilling the pilot holes way ahead of cutting.

8. Scotch tape is wonderful for tacking down a pattern when it lifts from the board, and for holding the waste pieces in its place (scotch on top, painters on the bottom).

9. Painters tape on the wood (both top and bottom). The bottom protects the wood, especially plywood from chipping. The top makes the pattern easy to remove. A roll of tape goes a really long time. Quick release or delicate painters tape works best (the core is yellow).

10. Remember, even instructors sometimes make errors. If following their instructions feels unsafe, don't follow it.

Last edited:

sawduster

New User
Robert
Always look at the can before you spray . Consequently, do not keep spray lacquer, CA accelerator, spray paint and WD40 together within easy reach :BangHead:

The cans will switch places when you are not looking :cry_smile

WD40 will not help CA to dry on that purdy pen you just turned :nah:

mark your thin CA so that you do not pick it up and squeeze it like the medium CA :embaresse
CA generates heat when it dries ....flesh does not like this :tongue2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors