Leigh D4 and what router / routers to use with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leigh D4 and what router / routers to use with it

I just picked up a Leigh D4 jig off of craigslist :XXcompute I am not sure it is a gloat and since I have not taken a photo of it I am sure it is not a gloat.

if you have this what do you think is the best router to use with this ?

I have one Milwaukee 5616 that I will use with it to start

would smaller routers work better ?
can you get away with one or do you really need two ?

any other tips :widea:....

it does not have the dust adapter I guess I am going to have to pick it up

it did come with a VHS tape but is the DVD much better ?

I have not taken it into the shop yet cause I have to just let it show up in the shop in a month or two since I really need to stop spending money for the shop:embaresse:embaresse

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
It doesn't take a lot of power to cut dovetails, but for weight and balance I use a 2.5hp router. And although it's not strictly required, I strongly advise using a fixed base. Years ago, I had a plunge router 'pop' up and mess up the underside of the template and really change the profile and cutting characteristics of the bit. The sounds and vibration were an extra bonus!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have used the Dewalt 616 and Dewalt 618(VS) routers to cut dovetails using a Porter Cable DT jig as well as the (new to me) Leigh 12" Superjig. ( I personally really like the low center of gravity of the DW618. It makes for better control when routing with Leigh jigs.)

Just be sure that the fixed base router that you choose has a base that will accept standard Porter Cable template guide bushings.

Nice snag on the D4 BTW!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I use DeWalt 618 routers with fixed bases, but almost any fixed base router will work fine. Since horsepower isn't needed for cutting the dovetails I advise against using the larger 3+ hp routers, since the added weight will be hard on you when lifting it on and off the jig as many times as you will. The new DeWalt 616 or it's Porter Cable equivalent would be a good choice if you are buying a new router specifically for use with the Leigh jig. After you have cut a few dovetails you will likely end up with 2 routers, since repeating the settings when changing from dovetail to straight bits is difficult. They do not need to be the same make or model, just good, lightweight routers with accurate adjustment capability.

Charley

JWBWW

New User
John
Of the eight routers in my shop I have only used a Porter Cable 690 (fixed base) with the D-4. Works fine. Not sure I'd want to use any of my 1/4" routers/bits. Did you get a set of router bits when you acquired the D-4? You'll want a set of dedicated straight and dovetail cutters to make your task cleaner and easier. The dvd or vhs may be helpful but, if you didn't get a manual you will definitely want one. It's more like a coffee table book. In my experience the D-4 is a great thing... but way more fiddling about than I like. Once dialed in you're in business... but getting there can be a time consuming task that kills a load of the enjoyment for me. The manual is detailed and invaluable from set-up all the way to cutting irregularly spaced pins and tails.

Of the eight routers in my shop I have only used a Porter Cable 690 (fixed base) with the D-4. Works fine. Not sure I'd want to use any of my 1/4" routers/bits. Did you get a set of router bits when you acquired the D-4? You'll want a set of dedicated straight and dovetail cutters to make your task cleaner and easier. The dvd or vhs may be helpful but, if you didn't get a manual you will definitely want one. It's more like a coffee table book. In my experience the D-4 is a great thing... but way more fiddling about than I like. Once dialed in you're in business... but getting there can be a time consuming task that kills a load of the enjoyment for me. The manual is detailed and invaluable from set-up all the way to cutting irregularly spaced pins and tails.

got the VHS and the Manual.... I started watching the video and cleaning the dust off of everything. I got 2 Leigh bits and one wood river but I know I need a set for the jig I will probably get the set sommerfeld sells. I guess I need a 8mm collect reducer to use the Leigh bits I got

JWBWW

New User
John
Interesting. When I got my D-4 in 1998 the bits that came with it were 1/4" and the Jesada (now Infinity I think) set I bought are 1/4" and 1/2." I have friends and associates who swear by their Leigh jigs; hopefully your experience follows theirs and not mine. Like so many things we do... frequency of use makes us better and even more it makes us remember. So seldom is this piece of equipment used that I find I have to re-learn every time out. And it never seems familiar. Could be an age related illness.

Good luck.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I use my dewalt DW625 router. Best advice with the dovetail jig is practice, practice, and practice. I have the D-3 24" jig. I saved several samples of test set ups and use them to get the jig adjusted then use some more scrap to fine tune. It's really not too hard once you know what you're doing.

Red

So seldom is this piece of equipment used that I find I have to re-learn every time out. And it never seems familiar. Could be an age related illness.

Good luck.

well I got mine and hope I end up using it alot.... I did not want to invest in something I would have to replace latter so buying used I think it will work out ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS