Left tilt unisaw + dado blade???

Status
Not open for further replies.

D ON BOARD

New User
Dennis
At the boat shop we have a 10" left tilt unisaw and it appears we can't fit an 8" dado blade. Anybody have any ideas? We were looking at the freud SD600 dial a width dado set, but have no idea how it does. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Dennis

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I have a left tilt unisaw and I use my 8" dado set all the time. I've never heard of this problem before. Can you elaborate on what part doesn't fit?

D ON BOARD

New User
Dennis
This belongs on the wall of shame, but here it goes.

The guys in the shop told me today they just didn't want to cut my throat plate. I was like what?! Thats what i get for assuming. You know the saying. My fault for not checking and thanks for responding so quickly.

dennis

M

McRabbet

Dennis,

The biggest advantage of the SD608 is one can make shim-free settings on the dado, but there is a "price" for that expensive convenience -- the two outer hubs add significantly to the mounting width that the blade takes on the saw arbor, thus limiting the maximum width of the dado that can be cut. I personally have the less expensive, but incredibly accurate SD508 dado set that comes with plenty of shims to fine-tune the dado width. I've used it to a full 13/16" on my 10" Grizzly cabinet saw.

By the way, table saw inserts are easy to make from 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood and four set screws to level them. Just trace the saw's standard insert onto a piece of 1/2" BB and rough cut it a bit over sized. Then sandwich the two with double sided tape or hot melt glue and pattern cut to exact size on a router table. Once made, cut the saw blade slot with the dado blade raised slowly through the insert that is clamped down with a scrap board. Use this method to make zero clearance inserts for other blades, too (Raise an 8" blade to make the initial cut through the insert.)

Rob

T

toolferone

This belongs on the wall of shame, but here it goes.

The guys in the shop told me today they just didn't want to cut my throat plate. I was like what?! Thats what i get for assuming. You know the saying. My fault for not checking and thanks for responding so quickly.

dennis

Dennis, That is way to funny! :rolf:

D ON BOARD

New User
Dennis
Rob

Thanks for the insight in the dial a blade. I don't think i can justify the cost of the set for the type of cutting we're doing. Not finely tuned dado joints but mostly hogging out material before fine tuning with a router.

This site and people like yourself are a great value to me and i think others in the industry. Its hard keeping up with every piece of equipment. I build yacht interiors but it seems like I spend days tracking down granite and getting designers to confirm faucets. The information on this site with its members is an ace in my sleeve.

thanks
dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS