Leaf ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Its time for everyones favorite game show. What tree did this come from. I think it is either a weeping cherry or a willow but I could use an expert opinion. Thanks guys.

leaf1.jpg

mark

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Boy you're really making it tough without any pictures.
A Willow is going to have a long slender leaf with finely serrated margins.
A Cherry leaf is going to be more rounded or elliptical in shape, also with a finely serrated margin.

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'm going to have to go with Cherry on that one, or something in the Prunus genus. I keyed it out and came to the same conclusion based on what I could see in the picture. Length of the leaf stem would have helped as would overall length of the leaf.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Daveo the leaf pic is almost the same size as the leaf. not sure if this helps but the bark is smoothish? Thanks for trying
Mark

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yep, I'm gonna still stick with something from the Prunus genus, smooth bark is very indicative (at least at a young age).

tommyt654

New User
tommyt654
I agree w/Dave it definitely looks like cherry and the smooth bark you said would help to confirm that Black Cherry perhaps or could it be Ash, I just don,t know

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I agree w/Dave it definitely looks like cherry and the smooth bark you said would help to confirm that Black Cherry perhaps or could it be Ash, I just don,t know

Tommy, Ash is really close in leaf shape (closer than Prunus) but the margins on Ash aren't as serrated. And when you figure in all the hybridizing that has been done to create ornamental Cherries, you have to give leaf shape a wide area.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Well the next two questions how long after I cut it down does one wait to turn? and the other is it any good for turning?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
All wood is good for turning. Some is better practice wood than others. As long as you have enough size to it its good turning wood. If you don't have enough size to it, it's good practice wood.
How long to wait until you turn it depends on what you are wanting to turn. You can turn bowls out of green wood right now, either rough and allow to dry and then re-turned or straight to the final product. Turnings like spindle work probably would require the wood to be more dry, and the amount of time depends on how large the piece is.

dkeller_nc

New User
David
Mark - Fruitwood of any type (plum, pear, cherry, apple, etc..) makes excellent turning wood. As to when to turn it, that depends. Many of us turn things for dead-green wood, but you then have to carefully dry it to avoid cracking. There's lots of methods for that, including putting it in a paper bag with wet shavings from the turning session and allowing the moisture to slowly diffuse out of the bag. Other methods include replacing the water by soaking the turning in PEG solution, and/or using a paint-on sealer like Anchor Seal.

If you want the wood to dry somewhat before turning it, you will need to split the log at least once down the middle (i.e., with the grain). If you don't do that, the log will split on its own as it dries, and perhaps not in ways that are desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS