Lathes on Raleigh CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveD

New User
Dave
That Rigid one looks like a knockoff of the old craftsman one I had. I never did like it because the tailstock tended to rotate on the round tube even though it had an adjustable keyway.

it was one of those lathes where you never took the work out of the lathe until you were done.

You should be able to periodically find the craftsman equivalent on craigslist for $100-125 and that's all I think they are worth.

That Jet is about $450 new but I wonder how practical those 3 top speeds are. Spinning something 1800-4000 RPM can get your attention pretty quick. Maybe one of the experienced turners will comment on RPM vs diameter of work. I'd expect more versatility in the lower ranges though.

The 20" between centers is ok if you aren't going to do table legs.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I used a Jet in my turning class at the NC State Craft Center a while back. I liked the tool but found changing speeds a tad cumbersome. It was a belt driven system with different dia pulleys. Not necessarily difficult, just a tad time consuming and more than a little bothersome. Other than that it was a great little lathe.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Matt, retail on the Jet is about $450. IMHO, while variable speed is a very nice feature (VS with a leveler or dial or button) changing speed by moving a belt on pulleys is not that big a deal unless you are turning for a living.

Offer $250.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Oh, I'm not looking to make a purchase, I'm YEARS away from taking that plunge. Like I said I already have a pile of equipment that I'm less than stellar with. No need to add to my mediocrity.

I was merely posting for others benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS