Lathe rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK

New User
Jeff
My son is in High School in Raleigh and his senior/required project is to make a baseball bat. He has ordered a Ash billet (or two) now he needs a way to turn it. Any ideas on renting or borrowing a time on a lathe?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jeff, first of all, thank you for visiting us. We hope that you'll stay a while. :icon_thum I would happily volunteer my lathe and tools, although, I'd hope that someone with a better lathe and who is more knowledgeable in turning will volunteer. There are plenty of members in this area and almost all of the turners have a better setup than I do. :gar-La; But if all else fails, you and your son are more than welcomed to turn the bat on my lathe. I turned one bat on it before for a friend's son. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

JeffK

New User
Jeff
Trent-By the way we don't know a great deal about wood working but we could trade some of our labor on any of your projects in exchange for your help.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Jeff, curiosity leads me to ask: How is it your son came to turning a baseball bat for his senior project? Is he taking a woodturning course in shop?

JeffK

New User
Jeff
No, wish he was taking woodworking. He plays baseball, and his project is supposed to be about "making/producing" something. So the bat just seemed to follow.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Definitely sounds like a cool project. I believe that my lathe allows 36" between centers, (Gary, please correct me if I'm wrong) although I have never tried to turn anything that long on it. Not sure what the actual length of the bat needs to be. If you're still interested when the billet arrives, just send me a pm (private message) and we'll see what we can work out. Also, depending on what area of town you're in, there might be another member that is closer who might be willing to help out. :icon_thum

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i turned one a few months ago, i know i'd like to get a steady rest for my lathe. it had a ton of ripples/chatter toward the end of it.

turning a bat was actually pretty simple and went a lot faster once my son was bored with helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS