Lathe Questions / Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen299

Dan Bowen
User
After being married 22 yrs LOML finally agrees that I don't need anymore
flashlight/screwdrivers combos (don't ask:BangHead:)for x-mas. I have been thinking about a lathe. Full size but affordable.(used if possible).I would like input on brand and options. Not looking to turn pens (hands to big /pens to small) so mini's are not an option. I have acess to turning blanks and my son has showed some intrest also so that an even bigger plus. Any guidance would be appreciated.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
While I have a Delta and it's good, from what I've read about price/value I think the Rikon lathe (available at Woodcraft) is a great value. Make sure you also pick up some jaws (4-jaw chuck).

gator

George
Corporate Member
Owen -

Several of us have the Harbor Freight 34706 and think it is, at a minimum, a good starter lathe. It is full size and can be had, on sale, for somewhere in the 180-190 range. I don't think anyones' hands are too big for pen turning, but what you turn is your bag.

If you want to see the HF model, give me a shout and drop by and try mine. We can throw a piece of scrap on and let you go to town on it. You will have to excuse the shop at the moment. It is still a mess from the last several projects.

George

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Owen, some idea of what you consider affordable would be very helpful in getting good advice. Like George mentioned the HF lathe is quite affordable (especially for me), but might be equal to a nice dinner out to someone else. Also keep in mind that the lathe is really a small purchase in the finacial vortex of woodturning. I bought my HF lathe for $190, my first chuck for $220, second chuck for $150, first set of turning tools for $40, second bowl gouge for $80 and I ain't done yet 8-O

If I could afford it I would have this lathe -

2436_lathe_350px.jpg

Only $5200 plus shipping :BangHead::BangHead:

Dave:)

J

jeff...

DANGER yet another is about to be sucked into the spinny side black hole.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I am with Dave on what you consider affordable. Check out Tom Hintz review on the Powermatic 3520. Although the Oneway is considered the "caddy" by many-----I was hard pressed to justify the higher cost compared to the Powermatic. The PM is not cheap by any means, about 3 grand.

I suggest you weigh out what you want to do on a lathe and what you want to invest. I had a Sears craftsman lathe before I went to the PM 3520. I used the sears lathe for 30 years and it is slap wore out. I probably won't live long enough to wear the PM out. There is a huge difference in price and quality of those two machines. I think I paid 150.00 for the sears back in the 70's.

There are scads of choices out there---------good luck on your decision!!

Jerry

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I too went with the Powermatic 3520. I researched a bunch of lathes and decided to go for the PM due to it's solid design and large capacity. It has been an absolute joy to use since I got it. I have had no problems turning large out of balance bowls that would have been nearly impossible on my old Jet 12" lathe.

Good luck in your search!

Badabing

New User
Joe
I too am on the market for a lathe. However, I will be using the store credit and Powermatic/Jet gift card that I get from my recent PM2000 purchase (about $330 total). So I may be limited to those brands.

I saw Tom Hintz' review of the Jet Mini Lathe and it sounds like a great deal. When I went to WoodCraft last time, I saw a full size Jet lathe they had on display that caught my eye. It was priced at around $550 (with stand). So doing the math, that's only about $50 more than I would spend on the mini lathe if I bought a stand for it too. Unfortunately I don't know the model number but does anybody have any experience with this lathe? Would it be a good choice?

BTW, I've never turned anything before but I'm really looking forward to getting started. My budget is right around that price for the lathe alone. I know I'll still have to buy turning tools and supplies too!

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Buying a used lathe can definitely save you some dollars. Stand by for fixing it yourself or learning to fix it. My way of saying may have to kiss many frogs before you find a really great deal. The Craig list offering looks like it needs a belt. If your comfortable tearing down the head stock (removing bearings) to get a new belt on go for it. May want to change bearings out while you have the chance too!

Would recommend the Jet 1642 Electronic Variable Speed lathe which comes in either 1 ½ HP 115 - 120V or 2HP 230V versions.

If price is a problem look at the Jet 1442, 1½ HP reeves drive lathe. Comes as a bench top or with legs model.

Of course can not beat the HF 34706 lathe for the price, just starting out.

cskipper

Cathy
I hate the stand for the jet mini - I trip on it's "feet". I bought the lathe without the stand. Some day, when I/we are turning more, we'll get a bigger one, but this has met our needs so far.

DavidF

New User
David
I had the Rikon Midi for 6 months as the Good will lathe from the club and I must say I liked it a lot; having said that, I have seen some great work from DaveO and others off of the HF lathe so......

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
You could always put a link belt on that old Rockwell. It would be a lot easier! :-D:-D

Buying a used lathe can definitely save you some dollars. Stand by for fixing it yourself or learning to fix it. My way of saying may have to kiss many frogs before you find a really great deal. The Craig list offering looks like it needs a belt. If your comfortable tearing down the head stock (removing bearings) to get a new belt on go for it. May want to change bearings out while you have the chance too!

Would recommend the Jet 1642 Electronic Variable Speed lathe which comes in either 1 ½ HP 115 - 120V or 2HP 230V versions.

If price is a problem look at the Jet 1442, 1½ HP reeves drive lathe. Comes as a bench top or with legs model.

Of course can not beat the HF 34706 lathe for the price, just starting out.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
$5200.00+ for a wood lathe? Wow! What does that work out to monthly including the late fee? That's the only way I could get it.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Alan, “linked belt” may or may not be a solution for the Rockwell lathe listed on craigslist. I don’t know! Lathe pulley’s will have a lot to do with that. Also don’t see a tool rest on the lathe. Can not tell from the photograph if there is one in the box.

Would the Rockwell lathe be good for somebody that likes to tinker with old machines? I don’t know the answer to that either. Guess it depends upon the individual. So, when say you may have to kiss several toads before finding a great deal buying a used wood lathe. Not out of line. Yes, there are some great deals out there! Better look before you leap though.

From my limited knowledge, would want a used lathe to be operational. I want all the basic components to be there and operational. No broken or missing handles, or hand wheels. Don’t like any machine with knobs. Want to see and hear it run. Don’t want any unusual noises, or vibrations. When turn the spindle by hand will be listening for bearings noise and feeling for free play. No alignment problems with the headstock & tail stock. The tail stock slides along the ways smoothly, when locked down doesn’t move. Same goes for the tool rest assembly. Minor cosmetic things are not a problem to me, cracks in major components would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS